Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Canon PIXMA MG3170 to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.8)

I'm trying to install my new Canon PIXMA MG3170 printer to my MacBook Pro. I am aware that the bundled software isn't compatible to OS 10.8, and after endless research through this community, I came across several solutions.

I installed it via IP address with HP Jetdirect - Socket protocol and used Canon MG3100 series printer driver. Apple was able to found the software update required for this version and the supposedly latest printer driver is installed. But the following message pops up:

"An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

HELP ME! spent 2 hours of resets, deleting .plist files, etc.

This is how the screen looks at the moment:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Printer: Canon PIXMA MG3170

Posted on May 4, 2013 10:10 PM

4 replies

May 4, 2013 11:49 PM in response to naysilladay

naysilladay wrote:

I'm trying to install my new Canon PIXMA MG3170 printer to my MacBook Pro. I am aware that the bundled software isn't compatible to OS 10.8

But the 10.8 printer driver is available from Apple via Software Update. And looking at your screen grab you already appear to have it installed.

naysilladay wrote:

I installed it via IP address with HP Jetdirect - Socket protocol and used Canon MG3100 series printer driver. Apple was able to found the software update required for this version and the supposedly latest printer driver is installed. But the following message pops up:

"An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time."

You cannot add the printer in this manner. The driver does not support this type of connection, so that is why you are getting the error message. If you want to use HP Jetdirect-Socket as the protocol then you would have to use an alternate driver, such as Gutenprint or PrintFab.

For the Canon driver, you must add the printer using the Canon IJ Network protocol. When you click the plus button in Print & Scan to add and have the Default view selected instead of the IP view as you have shown above, does the MG3170 appear in this view? Usually its scanner component will appear first, showing Bonjour in the Kind column. If you wait several more seconds, the printer component should also appear, showing Canon IJ Network in the Kind column. Do you see this?

May 7, 2013 1:57 AM in response to naysilladay

naysilladay wrote:

The software update I'm getting is for HP Printer, not canon.

That simply means that the Canon driver that is already installed on your Mac is up to date.

naysilladay wrote:

Plugged the printer via usb but nothing shows up on the list :'(

So with the MG connected to the Mac via USB cable, if you open Print & Scan and select to Add, is the MG not visible under the Default view? If not, then it could be the USB cable you are using.

Installing Canon PIXMA MG3170 to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.