Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using up disk space

When I work on a project, I have gotten into the habit of creating a duplicate of the project prior to beginning edits, so if I have to go back I can grab the duplicate. As I progress I have duplicate 1, duplicate 2, etc. Eventually I get a notice that I am our of hard drive space, so I eliminate the duplicates. I am somewhat confused, however, since I thought projects were only markers to the media and therefore used up little disk space. Could there be something else using up the disk space? I thought once I had imported my media, that there would be very little disk space used until my project was finalized, and I always make sure I have at least 100 or so gigs available after my media is imported. It is clear to me that I do not yet understand the basis upon which FCPX is working and any enlightenment would be appreciated as to how I can avoid that reocurring message when working on my projects "You are almost out of disk space" requiring me to stop and clear disk space.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 4, 2013 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2013 12:12 AM

Depending on what you are doing within FCP X and the type of footage used 100 gig can disappear pretty fast.

HD footage grabs around 40 gig an hour plus any render files that is created along the way.

My guess is render files are accumulating.

Have a look in the top level of the drive where the Project is stored to check out the current size.

Final Cut Projects>Project Name>Render files.

Al

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2013 12:12 AM in response to lburech

Depending on what you are doing within FCP X and the type of footage used 100 gig can disappear pretty fast.

HD footage grabs around 40 gig an hour plus any render files that is created along the way.

My guess is render files are accumulating.

Have a look in the top level of the drive where the Project is stored to check out the current size.

Final Cut Projects>Project Name>Render files.

Al

Using up disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.