Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I connect to my house wifi?

I just recently moved to a new house and my macbook pro can't connect to the wifi. Even if it was connected, the page doesnt load. Sometimes it works fine but usually it disconnects. When i try connecting back, it says "connection time out" or "invalid password". The other laptops in the house doesnt have any problem connecting. My iphone also does not have any problem connecting either. Whenever i try clicking "network diagnostics" and click on my wifi, it says "This computer was unable to join the Wi-Fi Network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chosen the wrong type of wireless security, or you may be out of range of the base station." Though the wifi modem is just right outside my room. When i click "network setup assistant" and click on my wifi, it always say "invalid password" and i know i type in the right password. The house i was previously staying in, the wifi works totally fine. Can anyone help me? Is there something wrong with my mac or is it the wifi? Though, i doubt its the wifi because all the other laptops in the house is working perfectly fine. Its just my mac that is having problems (btw, im the only one using mac in the house).

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 4, 2013 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2013 4:05 AM

Maybe you are having trouble with your CapLock key and entering the password in upper case😉

Else I might try:

1. Using an ethernet cable connection to check the internet works that way.

2. Deleting the entry for the network in System Preferences>Network>Advanced and starting again. Check you are entering the correct security type required by the ISP.

3. Wiifi diagnostics are available by holding the Opt key and clicking on the wifi icon in the toolbar. Then go to the Utility menu and select the Scan tab. If many of your neighbours use the same channel, you can go to your router and change your's to a different one etc.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2013 4:05 AM in response to sfxw10

Maybe you are having trouble with your CapLock key and entering the password in upper case😉

Else I might try:

1. Using an ethernet cable connection to check the internet works that way.

2. Deleting the entry for the network in System Preferences>Network>Advanced and starting again. Check you are entering the correct security type required by the ISP.

3. Wiifi diagnostics are available by holding the Opt key and clicking on the wifi icon in the toolbar. Then go to the Utility menu and select the Scan tab. If many of your neighbours use the same channel, you can go to your router and change your's to a different one etc.

May 5, 2013 5:06 AM in response to sfxw10

Wifi problems seem to crop up a lot on here and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a 'one fix' solution.

However, sometimes any one of the following may help although, unfortunately, not always. - in no particular order:

• Check wifi security - if it's WEP change it to WPA or WPA2 (preferably, as it's more secure)
  • Change the wifi channel on the router
  • Create a new Network Location: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5289
  • Reboot the router

Also take a look at this link and the links within the article for other ideas. They mainly reference Lion, but still seem to be relevant to Mountain Lion:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/06/lion-wi-fi-problems-solution-mac/?utm_source=feed burner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29&utm_conte n t=FaceBook

...and this link:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/30/resolving-stubborn-wi-fi-connection-problems-in-m ac-os-x/

Jul 18, 2013 6:42 AM in response to sfxw10

I couldn't get mine connected either, and when I was on this site trying to see if anything would work, nothing would work, so I clicked on System Preferences>Network>Assist me...>Diagnostics...

and then just followed all the steps, and now my Wi-Fi works! I hope this helps you if you haven't figured it out already, or helps someone in the future looking for an answer! 🙂

Oct 2, 2015 11:53 AM in response to martin_vo

I just received the Newest Pace from AT&T and had the same issue attempting to connect to my home wifi. The password was correct so the problem was not there. My work around to was use my iPhone and generate a hotspot, I then connected my laptop to that hotspot. Once I was connected to the hotspot, I then connected to my home wifi and "Poof", Im connected and everything is running smooth. Don forget to turn off your hotspot on your phone. I had to do this with my youngest daughters old phone as well.

I am adding this here for a search result because I know that this problem has accrued many times already while speaking to the at&t rep and its gonna happen again.

It is a Pace 5268AC and I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite.

Hope this helps someone and have a great day.

Feb 2, 2016 10:30 PM in response to sfxw10

I ran into the same issues with my Pace 5268AC from AT&T on my iMac / Mavericks OS. While connected by ethernet, I tried several of the suggestions listed above to no avail. After three hours of frustration, I randomly decided to change my Network Name to something more personal. Much like Martin's post above, "POOF", I'm connected by WiFi and everything is running smooth. I rebooted and still working just fine. OMG.

Below is a link for those who may not know how to change your Network name.

You need to type the IP address listed on the back of your router in the url window within your browser. Then go to WiFi - Modify security or settings.

Change your Wi-Fi network name – Pace 5268

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM104851 3

After all was working, I then went back and changed my password. I didn't want to change too many things at once! : )

Change your Wi-Fi network password – Pace 5268

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM105021 7

I truly hope this helps save someone else from hours of aggravation!

Why can't I connect to my house wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.