Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '08 not recognizing iSight

Ever since I updated my system to the (at the time) most recent update to version 10.8.3, my iSight has not been able to work in iMovie. I have iMovie '08 (7.1.4) and every time I go to record something I get the message: "No camera Connected ---- To import video, please connect camera" It was working perfectly fine before I updated my system. Things like photobooth work perfectly fine and it can detect the camera, but not iMovie. (iSight is built into my '08 Macbook Pro)

I have been reading around and have tried going into "LaunchDaemons" and seaching for "com.apple.mio.VDCAssistant.plist" so I can delete it and see if that works, but on my computer it only shows "com.apple.cmio.VDCAssistant.plist" So, I deleted that, restarted my computer, and that did not solve the problem.

I have also tried resetting PRAM, but that did not work.

It was suggested that I look under my "System Information" and see if my built-in iSight appears under "USB" and it does in fact show up. I don't know what the means though.

I cannot seem to find a solution that works. I would just like to be able to record again on iMovie without having to buy the new iLife or anything like that. I feel like there has to be a solution. Any help would be great, thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 4, 2013 9:45 PM

3 replies

May 27, 2013 7:50 AM in response to littlemissblue

(1) Then check the next possibilities: your problem may be either iMovie or user account-specific.

(2) Troubleshoot with every applicable suggestion in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090

(3) If iMovie is the only webcam-enabled app (try QuickTimeX, too) that gives trouble in any user account you test, the problem is application specific to iMovie.

Try resetting iMovie preferences. If you need help, the method is as follows:

 • Navigate to your Home (~user) / Library / Preferences folder.

 • Throw away any files that contain com.apple.iMovie.plist.

   (There may be more than one .plist filename containing "iMovie".)

(4) If resetting preferences does not correct your iMovie problem, use Disk Utility to repair permissions and then reinstall iMovie from your iLife DVD. Repair permissions again after reinstalling iMovie, and then launch and test iMovie again.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.3

iMovie '08 not recognizing iSight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.