Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

library location resets to local computer

Maybe this is a complaint or perhaps a suggestion to Apple.

I have a central library (iBook Live Duo 6 T) holding my various iTunes files. If I have a power surge or something else that disturbs the central server, then iTunes defaults back to the local drive. Unless you notice it, it really mishandles downloads after the reset, sending files to your local drive instead of the central drive. Also, with a large library, it takes a lot of time to reattach to the correct library location. So, maybe iTunes should provide a lock on the library designation.

Another issue I see as we move to larger libraries and central storage in a household is that iTunes automatically puts your self-recorded discs into the library, but not the movie section. I have a lot of CDs that I migrated. You end up finding them in movies, but they show up in the Home Video tab, not the movies tab. Then you have to move them to the movie section, and that can take forever if you have central storage.

Now, if Apple were to enhance the shared library interface, I might get past this issue and just use the shared library part. However, it is a clunky list of all files, regardless of media (movies, TV, songs, podcasts, etc).

Suggestions?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 4, 2013 10:45 PM

There are no replies.

library location resets to local computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.