Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD verified completely

Hi,

I am not able to boot into Mac Os since today. When i switch on my MBP, the Apple-Logo appears and a progress bar starts running. After a few seconds, i'd say a fifth of the progress bar, the MBP shuts itself down. I also installed Windows via Bootcamp and its still running smoothly without problems. So I don't think it's a hardware thingy.

I just tried the common problem solvers like SMC Reset and PVRAM Reset. Didn't help.

Could I solve the problem without re-installing Mac Os? I don't want to lose my data and settings...

Thanks for your help!

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), MBP Retina 2,6Ghz 8Gb Ram 256GB SSD

Posted on May 5, 2013 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2013 3:42 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

When OS X tries to start in safe mode, it checks that the hard drive works correctly. If the computer turns off when the progress bar is on the display, it means that Mac OS X has found a hard disk issue that couldn't be repaired. It's usually a sign of a hard disk problem.

You can start in Windows, and if you installed Boot Camp drivers, you can access to the OS X volume in Windows, so start in Windows, try to access to the OS X partition from Windows Explorer and copy all the files you want to an external drive.

Then, start the computer holding Command and R keys, and open Disk Utility. After that, choose "Macintosh HD" in the sidebar and repair the disk. If it can't be repaired, erase the volume and reinstall OS X. If the partition can't be erased, take the MacBook to an Apple Store or reseller, because your storage is damaged

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2013 3:42 AM in response to Munky187

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

When OS X tries to start in safe mode, it checks that the hard drive works correctly. If the computer turns off when the progress bar is on the display, it means that Mac OS X has found a hard disk issue that couldn't be repaired. It's usually a sign of a hard disk problem.

You can start in Windows, and if you installed Boot Camp drivers, you can access to the OS X volume in Windows, so start in Windows, try to access to the OS X partition from Windows Explorer and copy all the files you want to an external drive.

Then, start the computer holding Command and R keys, and open Disk Utility. After that, choose "Macintosh HD" in the sidebar and repair the disk. If it can't be repaired, erase the volume and reinstall OS X. If the partition can't be erased, take the MacBook to an Apple Store or reseller, because your storage is damaged

May 5, 2013 3:44 AM in response to Munky187

A 'progress bar' - is it grey? Sounds like it's trying to start in Safe Mode.

A couple of things you could try. Start the Mac holding down the Alt (option) key and hopefully it'll offer the startup manager. Using the arrows on the key (if you have Bluetooth keyboard/mouse) select Macintosh HD and tap the enter key. Will it boot now?

If that doesn't help, have you tried repairing the disk using Disk Utility via the Recovery HD? Restart holding down Command + r and choose Disk Utility > Select Macintosh HD > Click on 'repair disk'. If any repairs are done click on repair disk until you get a clean pass, then restart as normal from the Apple menu.

More info here on the Recovery HD: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Jun 6, 2013 11:00 PM in response to Munky187

Hey guys ... got the same problem again!

I'm not sure whether I should solve the problem the same way or send it directly to apple :/

The last thing I did, was being in windows. Thats what I am now. Working withouth problems, from the same hard drive but of course, on an NTFS volume.

At start up, it said "Mac Volume May Be Damaged - Mount Anyway?" I klicked yes. I am able to browse the Mac Volume and read and write the data via "Mac Drive 8". Like nothing happened. But I can't boot into MacOs. Diskutilty and SystemRepair Tool didn't work.

My theory: The problem is more complex than just a broke hard drive. Did you ever hear anything about Boot Camp or the Macdrive8 Software damaging MacOsExtended drives?

So I am ready to reinstall MountainLion again ( like 4 weeks ago -_- ), but I really want to know, how to prevent Mountain Lions suicide in the future!

I scanned for Viruses via Avira. Everything okay.

Thanks for your help and time!

Dennis

Macintosh HD verified completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.