Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Multiple extensions

I have a huge house and need wifi all over. Theres one base extreme connected to the modem and an airport express wirelessly exteding the network. In my farthest room, I dont have good signal so can I buy another express to extend the already extending express?

These are all the latest models.

Thanks

Will this Work?

Modem----ethernet--->Extreme----Wireless----->Express-----Wireless----->Express

\Extending/ \Extending/

Will the last express extend the already extending one?

Posted on May 5, 2013 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2013 9:20 PM

Will this Work?

\Extending/ \Extending/

This configuration can work, but it would have to be configured as a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) and not as an 'extended' network. The reason is because the 802.11n version of an extended network works more like a wheel. That is, the extended base station would be at the hub of this wheel and each extending base station would be on a spoke of that wheel. What you appear to want is a linear combination of base stations and this was only available in the older 802.11g WDS network.

Unfortunately, a WDS network has two major disadvantages: 1) It can only operate in the 802.11g mode which would, effectively, negate the advantage of your 802.11n base stations, and 2) For each base station added in a WDS, the overall wireless bandwidth (speed) would be cut in half.

Another option would be if your home is pre-wired for Ethernet, you could configure a roaming network which would be superior to both.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2013 9:20 PM in response to KaranfromAppleLand

Will this Work?

\Extending/ \Extending/

This configuration can work, but it would have to be configured as a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) and not as an 'extended' network. The reason is because the 802.11n version of an extended network works more like a wheel. That is, the extended base station would be at the hub of this wheel and each extending base station would be on a spoke of that wheel. What you appear to want is a linear combination of base stations and this was only available in the older 802.11g WDS network.

Unfortunately, a WDS network has two major disadvantages: 1) It can only operate in the 802.11g mode which would, effectively, negate the advantage of your 802.11n base stations, and 2) For each base station added in a WDS, the overall wireless bandwidth (speed) would be cut in half.

Another option would be if your home is pre-wired for Ethernet, you could configure a roaming network which would be superior to both.

Airport Express Multiple extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.