Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to turn off the voice that reads reminders?

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion. Is there a way to turn off the voice that reads pop-up reminders? She didn't bother me much when she only read pop-up warnings, but now that she's reading my calendar event reminders, I'm getting very annoyed by her.

Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 5, 2013 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2013 9:43 AM

It might be Voice Over - if so, Command + F5 should turn it off. Also check the setting in System Preferences>Accessibility>Voice Over.

7 replies

May 5, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Paul_31

No, Voicer Over was not activated.

However, I went exploring through the many many system settings (there are so many, that's why I sometimes ask before exploring myself) and after reading several different possibilities I found the answer! It's in the Dictation & Speech settings. I had to uncheck the box for "Announce when alerts are displayed."

I did search in the forum for the answer first and found no mention of it. So at least this post might be helpful for someone else sometime. 🙂

Is there a way to turn off the voice that reads reminders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.