Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Ipod found, need help transfering photos.

I have an Ipod 30g classic, thought it was lost for years. Recently found it, I'm trying to download the photos off of it. In the photos folder on my computer it shows nothing. I have the show hidden files on. On the Ipod it shows hundreds of photos when I scroll in it. On a Asus with Windows 8. Tried in both regular mode and disk mode..

iPod classic, 30G on a PC with Windows 8

Posted on May 5, 2013 10:57 AM

1 reply

May 6, 2013 12:52 AM in response to TexasMarauder

There is a setting that needed to be enabled when you synced the photos to the iPod, if you want to recover the original photo files later from the iPod. That setting is on the iPod's Photos tab in iTunes, where you set up syncing for photos. It is a checkbox that says Include full-resolution photos.

If that setting was enabled when you synced the photos to the iPod, iTunes puts a copy of the original photo files in the Photos folder on the iPod. The iPod does not use those image files for displaying on the iPod's screen; they are there as a backup copy.

If that setting was not enabled, iTunes converts the photos during syncing to optimize them (make them lower resolution) for display on the small iPod screen, and stores the photo data in a single database file. This is done to save storage space on the iPod, and make it easier for the iPod to display the photos. There may be a third-party utility that can extract individual image files from that database file, but the result will probably be very low-res compared to the original photos.

Lost Ipod found, need help transfering photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.