Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Can't find home wireless network

I've been having some issues getting my macbook pro, running OS 10.7.5, to find my home wireless network. The network doesn't show up when it searches automatically, and when I type the network name in to find it manually, it says no network found. The computer connects to all other networks and finds then with no issues, and other MacBooks are able to find my home network and connect to it again with no issues.

The computer used to be able to find the network, and then it just stopped working. I have tried all the standard fixes, resetting the router, computer, PRAM, forgetting the network, deleting the key from keychain, but nothing seems to work. I tried googling the issue, but wasn't able to find a problem similar to the one I have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 5, 2013 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2013 12:50 AM

I had this EXACT problem with my mac and it was frustrating me for days!

Check into what channels your airport can pick up. My problem was that my router was set to "auto", ie choosing to pick up from 1 - 12 and had been on 12 for the last few days and as it turns out, my mac only picks up 1 - 11! Once I changed the router channel to 11, all was fixed!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2013 12:50 AM in response to zambeezy

I had this EXACT problem with my mac and it was frustrating me for days!

Check into what channels your airport can pick up. My problem was that my router was set to "auto", ie choosing to pick up from 1 - 12 and had been on 12 for the last few days and as it turns out, my mac only picks up 1 - 11! Once I changed the router channel to 11, all was fixed!

Sep 27, 2013 4:38 AM in response to zambeezy

Hi there,

I realise the issue has been solved but I had a similar problem with my MB using a WiFi router. I was playing about with trying to create a home network and I'm pretty certain I didn't play with any network config settings, but anyway, I couldn't connect to my router nor could I see any available networks.

When I switched to bootcamp, I could connect.

Checked as much as I could and after several restarts, of MB and router, it still couldn't connect.

So I SHUTDOWN the MB and restarted it and it worked. I don't know why this would work because I thought a shutdown was part of the restart process.

Perhaps someone can correct me please.

Regards,

Maz

Nov 1, 2013 2:34 AM in response to Firstpost

Still having problems with this.

I have upgraded to Mavericks, hoping that the problem would be fixed, but it hasn't. I still get all networks completely disappearing - even if I search for them they are not found.

But I reboot the computer and it works! But when I am in OS or Bootcamp mode and put the Mac to sleep, it does not see the networks again! I have to reboot the computer for it to work.

I have even got a new router which can receive the b,g and n signals etc. as I was told by a Mac techie here that Macs 'look' for the n signal but can also work with the b and g signals and THAT maybe my old router only transmits b and g or something like that 😕.

This, to me, sounds like a Mac software problem. I had a similar problem on a previous Mac on my "old router" and a totally different router in a different country's telephone system.

I now have the same problem with a new MBP on a new router!

😟 Maz

Nov 9, 2013 12:44 AM in response to Maz K

Dear Maz K,
I think you haven't seen the answer by Portiao. I had the same issue you are having right now for months and I had to turn wifi on/off for a bunch of times (sometimes I had to do it for 20+ times) untill MBP could finally find my network. But a week ago I saw Portiao's answer which is the fix for this problem.

All you have to do is going to your router setup page and change the number of channels in the wireless sections from "auto" to something below 12. In my case even 11 didn't work, so I changed it to 8 and everything is fine now.
Thank you so much Portiao for finally solving this irritating issue.

Nov 9, 2013 1:00 AM in response to Sepehr.E

Hi there Sepehr,

Actually I have seen this method on several websites as well. Changing the channel number to 6 and 11 as had been suggested has not resolved this issue.

I was told that I needed a router that was 'n' setup by a couple of techie guys and this hasn't worked.

Although, I am currently setup in my router as Auto channels and I have not had this problem for a good few days now but I'm not sure how long this will last for!

Thanks,

Maz

MacBook Pro Can't find home wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.