Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 3 Screen Flicker?

I have a Apple TV S/W 5.2.1 Model MD199LL/A (purchased 2013 May). Connected via ethernet to my 2012 iMac and using HomeShare/Airplay etc. Apple TV is connected to my Hitachi 50PD9800TA HDMI (1080P) television - circa 2007.

After 10-12 mins of movie, photo or music play the screen begins to flicker. Changed HDMI cables twice, tried different HDMI ports on the television. I am using a High Speed HDMI cable - not standard HDMI cable. In fact, I used the HDMI cable that functions successfully with my Apple TV first gen (also 1080P res). The HDMI cable is a direct Apple TV to TV connection (no DVI in between).

The only sequence of operations that fixes the flicker is to reboot Apple TV.

Hitachi cold start - no help.

HDMI cable swap - no help.

HDMI TV port swap - no help.

Apple TV video res change from Auto to 1080P - no help.

Apple TV video res change from Auto to 720P - success!

What is the fix??? I am very dissappointed....I can't watch everything in 720P....it stinks....

HELP!!

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 5, 2013 11:08 AM

6 replies

Jun 7, 2017 6:24 AM in response to AppleFan94582

Select the resolution to a lower frequency refrsh. Eg if it is at 1080i 60hz put it back to 1080i 50hz from audio video settings in apple TV. That fixed the issue for me. Inwas almost about to get a new TV before I decided to try tgis tweak and it worked for me. I had a hunch as it was only when I was streaming via airplay and playing content via apple TV so decided to give one last try and it worked and I am sure it will work for all others. It is just a refresh rate compatibility issue with the TV. Hope this helps.

May 5, 2013 11:15 AM in response to AppleFan94582

This is certainly not normal - AppleTV is however very fussy about HDMI connections and incompatibilities do crop up with some sets.

That said, I would expect an incompatibility to manifest from the start not 10 minutes into playing and consequently think this may be a faulty AppleTV, overheating for example.

Personally I would get the AppleTV exchanged if it is new - it would be handy to test on another TV to see if the same problem arises.

AC

May 5, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Alley_Cat

yup....good suggestion! I swapped the ATV yesterday for a brand new one! same exact behavior..

there seems to be a number of threads in the forum around ATV2 flicker...which seems to manifest itself on older model HD television models after ~10 mins of play. that being said, I was hoping fix had been released. will try another "newer" model television set - good idea.

May 5, 2013 11:31 AM in response to AppleFan94582

That's a shame. It does sound like an HDMI glitch on that set.

There are a few different HDMI settings you can manuall set (RGB Hi/Low etc) in the Settings menus and Auto - no harm trying a few.

I recommend you send feedback to Apple techs using this link noting TV model etc:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

They won't reply but may be able to tweak things for the future.

AC

AppleTV 3 Screen Flicker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.