Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes is asking for password to restore new iphone from backup. I didn't set a password when I backed up the phone. How can I restore the new phone from the backup I made just before giving my old phone to Apple?

I had to take my phone in because the camera was broken. I backed up the data on itunes and took the phone into the Apple store. They gave me a new phone and said to just restore it from my latest backup. When I select the restore point to use, itunes asks me for a password. I didn't set a password when I backed up the old phone and iTunes doesn't accept my iTunes account password. How can I get my new phone restored with the backup I did just prior to giving my phone to Apple?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on May 5, 2013 8:52 PM

29 replies

Dec 20, 2016 10:49 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you sooooooooooooo much! I've tried every password from so many threads and finally, 1234 is the one that worked!!! I'm pretty sure that was the first iPhone password I set when I first bought an iPhone. I would have never remembered that, but I just kept trying different combinations. Good luck to anyone else trying to figure it out. Sounds like different things work for different people. You just have to keep trying every combination.

Sep 30, 2017 4:15 PM in response to gail from maine

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I backed up my iPhone 5s, running the newest ios to the newest version of iTunes. When I go into iTunes to look at the backup, it is not encrypted. When I try to restore to my iPhone 7, it asks for a password and I have no idea what to use. I've tried my unlock pin and any other pin I may have used. I've tried my Appstore password. Nothing works. How has this continued to be a problem for YEARS without Apple resolving it?

Sep 30, 2017 5:45 PM in response to Doug572

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. I backed up my iPhone 5s, running the newest ios to the newest version of iTunes. When I go into iTunes to look at the backup, it is not encrypted.

hen I try to restore to my iPhone 7, it asks for a password and I have no idea what to use.

Sure seems encrypted. Gail absolutely knows what she's talking about.

That's what the password you entered previously did. It encrypted the iTunes backup.

The backup won't ask for a password if it not encrypted. It can't be both.

One of your assertions can't be true.

May 5, 2013 10:10 PM in response to cafarrer

If anyone else is looking for a solution to this same problem, I was able to get it working looking through several older discussions.

The solution was to use the password that I had on my iTunes account the very first time I set up the iPhone about a year ago. I changed my iTunes password about 10 months ago; but apparently, the backups continue to use the password that existed when the phone was first set up.

A couple of troubling things with this are that 1) I didn't apply a password when I did the backup this afternoon so I don't understand why it was required when I did the restore a few hours later. and 2) it makes zero sense why iTunes would not be smart enough to use the current accout password when requiring the password to restore from a backup made with no password.

I thought iTunes and Apple were smarter than that. With so many posts stating exactly the same problem, it is clear that this is bug in the software.

Best,

Craig

Sep 27, 2014 3:39 PM in response to ishywisy

ishywisy wrote:

i have almost tried all the password. and its not working

Keep trying. You or someone that backed up this iPhone to this computer to iTunes chose to 'encrypt' the backup at some point. Once that was done, all future iTunes backups of that device were also encrypted, using the same password. iTunes didn't choose a password for you. It had to be manually entered. Keep trying until you get it right. There is no other solution.

itunes is asking for password to restore new iphone from backup. I didn't set a password when I backed up the phone. How can I restore the new phone from the backup I made just before giving my old phone to Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.