Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't type the € (euro) sign?

Hello,

I use a MacBook Air 11" half-2012 with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with a French keyboard. I can't type the € (euro) sign anymore.

The keyboard key is physically functional. I can type the $ (dollar) and * (asterisk, using ⇧ (shift)) wich are on the same key. Combining the key with ⌘ (cmd) should output the € (euro) sign. But nothing happens, in any application.

This is not an issue with the font because it happens with any font and this sign is correctly displayed in webpages and I can even copy/paste it.

Even if I click the key in the keyboard viewer, nothing happens.

Any idea?

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on May 6, 2013 3:28 AM

7 replies

May 6, 2013 6:01 AM in response to wixxdqu

Hi again, Jonathan,

Okay, in that case the only thing that immediately comes to mind is that perhaps the Alt+$ key combination has been, inadvertently, assigned as a keyboard shortcut perhaps.

Go into System Preferences->Keyboard and select the Keyboard Shorcuts tab. Check within that to ensure that Alt+$ hasn't been assigned as a keyboard shortcut for something.

May 6, 2013 11:23 PM in response to Red Dwarf

Double-checked already, and I never assigned a keyboard shortcut to this combination using the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences. The only thing close that I can think of is the 1Password app shortcut. I use Alt+$ to trigger the 1Password autofill in browsers. But it should not be system wide. It's configured from the 1Password preferences.

Can't type the € (euro) sign?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.