Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Russian Keyboard

Your Russian keyboard is unusable at all

We have 2 symbol sets in number row

But Shift+Figure set is under(!) Alt+Figure set! You need to turn up it! I would be in collaroration with Shift.

And we have 2 % with Shift+4 and Alt+5 but why??? You don't know any symbols anymore?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 6, 2013 12:32 AM

5 replies

May 6, 2013 7:36 AM in response to ytpo

ytpo wrote:

I told about % and Symbols I see written on my buttons on the keyboard. preferences/language & text/input sources can't change my keyboard.

If you want to ask Apple to change the printing on their keyboards, you can do that at

http://www.apple.com/feedback

If you want what is already printed on the keyboard to match what the keys produce, that can be done by changing a small software file, and I may be able to help. Let me know.

May 6, 2013 8:45 AM in response to ytpo

PS I don't know if this is of any help, but upon closer examination of the Apple Russian keyboard printing, I see that the characters at the right side of a key are not intended provide info about option/alt characters. They are simply an indication of where the keyboard produces something different than the normal or shifted English layout.

So on the number row, the "№%:,.; to the right of 2345678 are supposed to tell you that in shifted mode you get these instead of what is printed above the numbers, namely @#$%^&*. You see the same kind of thing on the keys for бю/хъёэж, but there it tells you what you get in unshifted mode (instead of what is on the lower left side of the key).

I have no idea why Apple chose that system, but I think it has been this way for many years now.

Russian Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.