Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve upgraded drive won't stay connected

I installed a 2TB WD Green hard drive in an ADM caddy/tray and all seemed normal - but after 5-10 min., the drive disappeared/disconnected without warning. I didn't have trouble with the drive outside the ADM caddy/tray (it formatted and took data fine)...

In some cursory research, I've seen some folks mention "jumper" settings for replacement drives. Could this be the issue? Not sure what these settings involve.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 6, 2013 8:29 AM

6 replies

May 12, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Nathan DeLacretaz

Hi Nathan,

I don't think you can use the green drives effectively in the Xserve. I've had success with some WD Black drives, some Seagates and some Hitachis, all ADM's use enterprise class drives.. One thing to try would be the following.. Get a large amount of data that is going to take over 10 minutes to copy and see if the drive stays mounted for the duartion of the copy and then for a few minutes later. You'll probably find the issue is with the green drives spinning down when not in use.

Thanks

Beatle

May 12, 2013 5:08 PM in response to beatle20359

Thanks, Beatle -

Good point...I copied nearly 1TB onto the green 2TB drive in an overnight copy via SuperDuper and it did take way longer than I expected (12ish hrs...!?). The spin-down may have been the issue..?

Related: I may try to find a way to use the 1TB drives from the back-up ADMs I bought a couple yrs. back (in addition to some aftermarket drives like the 2TB WD Green) in an NAS array or something similar. Could I feasibly do this with some kind of NAS enclosure? (I mean, without the internal drive spin-down/compatibilty worries that accompany the Xserve)...

Nathan

May 12, 2013 5:25 PM in response to Nathan DeLacretaz

Hi Nathan,

the green drives would be fine to use in something like a drobo which also allows you to mix and match sizes of drives (Drobo Pro has to use enterrprise class disks) or you could use them in an ioSafe N2 which is a pretty cool fireproof/waterproof 2 disk NAS, if you need the extra protection it brings. If you search through the forum you'll find some posts with details of models of drives that work perfectly, some need a jumper to change the transfer rate down etc. SATA 3 drives wont work and neither will anything above 2TB. Problem with the green drives is the RPM's fluctuate between 5900 - 7200 so they're not suited to a server or proper RAID.

All the best

Beatle

Xserve upgraded drive won't stay connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.