Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup versus/vs. Sync in Mac OS X 10.8.3's iTunes with an iPhone 4S?

Hello.

Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S (iOS 5), two different things? I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares. However, Sync did. I thought they were the same like Sync only synchronize and backups did full iPhone backups with personal data to MacBook Pro. Note that iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

iPhone 4S, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13.3" MacBook Pro (9,2/MD102ll/A)

Posted on May 6, 2013 10:46 AM

10 replies

May 6, 2013 11:21 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

If you're backing up to your computer (as opposed to iCloud) A backup occurs as the first step of the sync process.

Yeah, no cloud/remote stuff. Just locally. Ah. So backup is only backing up without synchronizing data. That is why iPhone 4S' data don't show up in MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3's softwares. Sheesh.

Thanks. 🙂

May 6, 2013 11:33 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

Maybe you need to explain what's not showing up where. If you have not changed the defaults in iTunes, every time you plug it in it will be backed up and synced.

Like I said in the end of my original/first post, "... Note that iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare." Everything is done on iPhone 4S. MacBook Pro is used for backups and viewing. iTunes is configured to synchronize iPhone 4S's data to always go to MacBook Pro. Using backup button does not seem to copy data MacBook Pro, but Sync does. This is checked in Calendar/iCal, Contacts/Addressbook, iTunes, etc.

May 6, 2013 11:47 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

I'm confused as to how you believe you've done this...

iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare.

That's not an option in iTunes.

Yes, there is. Click on iTunes' iPhone 4S (iOS 5) and then look at the settings for it There are options for Apps., Contacts, Calendar, etc. You can tell it to synchronize all, none, days, eBooks, Podcasts, etc.

Backup versus/vs. Sync in Mac OS X 10.8.3's iTunes with an iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.