Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup versus/vs. Sync in Mac OS X 10.8.3's iTunes with an iPhone 4S?

Hello.

Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S (iOS 5), two different things? I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares. However, Sync did. I thought they were the same like Sync only synchronize and backups did full iPhone backups with personal data to MacBook Pro. Note that iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13.3" MacBook Pro (9,2/MD102ll/A)

Posted on May 6, 2013 10:50 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2013 12:46 PM in response to antdude

"Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S (iOS 5), two different things?"

Yes.

" I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares."

Correct.

A backup is for settings in case you experience a problem and need to restore your iphone. It is only a safety feture. it does not include any itunes content an is not useable on your computer. it is only good for restoring your iphone.

Nothing should only be on your iphone. You should be syncing/importing/transferring everything to your comptuer regularly

May 6, 2013 12:53 PM in response to roaminggnome

roaminggnome wrote:

"Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S (iOS 5), two different things?"

Yes.

" I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares."

Correct.

A backup is for settings in case you experience a problem and need to restore your iphone. It is only a safety feture. it does not include any itunes content an is not useable on your computer. it is only good for restoring your iphone.

Nothing should only be on your iphone. You should be syncing/importing/transferring everything to your comptuer regularly

Thank you. So, I will use Sync and then do a backup after it then.

May 6, 2013 12:55 PM in response to antdude

Yes they are sepate processes.

antdude wrote:

Note that iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare.

iPhone data does not overwrite. It syncs (makes them the same).

Do you want different data on iPhone vs. Mac? This is what will happen if you don't sync.

Also, what happens on the rare ocassion you do update your Mac? It won't sync to iPhone.

Backup versus/vs. Sync in Mac OS X 10.8.3's iTunes with an iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.