Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compression settings

Hello all

I have uploaded youtube videos in the past, to which I understand that the quality is not going to be top notch at 360p.

I am looking for the best compression settings, to which I was hoping someone would share theirs. We shoot professional video with professional equipment, but when we upload it seems sub-par and boxy.

We are using Final Cut Pro 7, shooting 1080P at 30fps. The youtube setting on compressor works great at the HD levels when viewed on youtube, "decent" at 480p but just horrendous at 360p. The reason I ask is because the majority of youtube viewers will see the video at 360p.

any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 6, 2013 11:46 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2013 3:10 PM in response to AntLefty

A couple of things to start that may be helpful. YT re-encodes these files, so make sure you give them enough information…err on the side of too much, not too little. Second, are you sure you need a size that small? Just checking.

I assume you mean YT's 360p settings because I'm not aware of any equivalent Compressor setting. Why not use something in the neighborhood of YT's 360p advanced settings? Those are 5 Mbps – 5X their standard quality. So perhaps try 2 Mbps? (I have uploaded 720p as low as 3Mbps and I thought it looked decent enough.)

Russ

May 7, 2013 5:11 AM in response to AntLefty

I think I get it now…you're saying that uploading a file that is encoded at Compressor's default settings look fine with HD playback, but not so hot at 360P? That's interesting because often smaller playback sizes cover up problems that are quite noticeable at larger sizes.

When I encode for the Web, I choose 720p more often than 1080p. For the smaller resolution, I typically choose bit rates of 8 Mbps; for the larger one, I typically choose 15 mbps. (As I said, I have also uploaded 720p at bit rates as low as 3K – when required to keep file sizes in check.)

With those settings, I'm been happy with the quality viewing at all sizes, and more importantly I've had good feedback from those whose requirements I need to satisfy.

Post back if you're looking for additional info.

Good luck.

Russ

compression settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.