Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac (Server 10.8.3) DHCP behaving very odd

Hello!

I have recently figured out a way, which turned out to be very important fo rme. Since I am living in a dorm house, my internet is limited to only one registered MAC-Address. But since I own a Mac Mini, a LAN-cable and an AirPort Express (latest as of writing), it made *click* and I quickly set up the Mac Mini to be the registered system, made a custom pfctl config (since the default internet sharing totally didn't work 😟) and even wrote some scripts to automatically change the shared interface, in case I was using a broadband dongle, which I am actually doing at times.

The system works just perfectly...well, only for apple devices.

As soon as a non-apple device tries to join the network, they're erroring. Using ipconfig /renew shows "The data is invaild."

Reviewing the setup, I realize I have actually 2 DHCP servers - one being the router with the registered MAC-Addresses, and the other being my own Mac Mini. The AirPort only works in Bridge-Mode.

By looking for suggestions, I was told to check if i have a network group - i have one, called "workgroup" which apepars to be the default one being used in larger windows networks. But although I have that, I still have no functional network on my Windows - but for sure on all my iDevices and MacBook Air.

Does anybody know how I can solve this issue? It's quite annoying typing in manual IP's over and over -.-

Regards, Ingwie

Airport Express (2012)-OTHER, APU6,AP 7.6.3

Posted on May 6, 2013 1:31 PM

1 reply

May 7, 2013 1:42 AM in response to Ingwie

A better configuration would be to plug the AirPort Express in to your LAN port and then configure the AirPort Express to share it using NAT with DHCP to all your Macs. The AirPort Express would then be the only MAC address seen by your Internet link. You would also only have the AirPort Express acting as a DHCP server.

With this setup all your computers would have to be on WiFi.

Mac (Server 10.8.3) DHCP behaving very odd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.