Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop iphone from dimming

I'm looking for a way to stop the iPhone from dimming after a short period (specifically, when navigating via Google Maps).

I've tried turning Auto-lock to "Never" but that doesn't seem to do quite what I want, or at least not all that I want: it prevents the screen from going totally black and the iPhone from locking, but the screen still goes unusably dim after a short while.

Yes, tapping the screen brightens it back up, but the tap also stops navigation scrolling (I have to hit the "Resume" button); two taps like that are an unnecessary distraction while using it for car navigation. The only slight workaround is to touch the ETA bar, which instead causes the bar to switch between time left/time of arrival/distance remaining, but again, unneeded distraction.

Posted on May 6, 2013 12:45 PM

23 replies

Sep 29, 2017 10:45 PM in response to KeAsia99

Understand and thank you. I mean it. This issue is more convoluted than the mother ship wants to admit.

(this post will probably be deleted very shortly and I'll be blocked from responding, again)

Pretty much all of my friends have the same issue and simply put, most of us have given up on trying to fix it because the positives outweigh the negatives.

May 6, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Scott_R

When using Apple Maps, the screen stays on during turn by turn navigation. Google Maps behaves the same way for me. I don't see any settings that change the screen timeout behavior so I'm assuming it's just supposed to stay on. You may want to try completely closing out of Google Maps by double tapping the home button, then pressing and holding the app icon until the little red minus appears. Tap that. Then, go back to the Home screen and restart the app.

By the way, this assumes you have the phone plugged into a car charger.

Best of luck.

Mar 18, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Scott_R

He/she tried it and it didn't work. Same here. I have the auto-dim feature turned off but often, and usually when I play games, after 10-15 minutes it'll just go to very dim all by itself. (iPhone 6 with latest iOS.)

The only way for me to get out of it seems to be to turn my iPhone off and then back on. SUPER annoying...

Anyone here got other suggestions?

(besides the standard advice to "do a soft/hard reset, you won't lose anything.. Yeah, right...)

Mar 18, 2015 4:20 PM in response to apple-av8or

apple-av8or wrote:

He/she tried it and it didn't work. Same here. I have the auto-dim feature turned off but often, and usually when I play games, after 10-15 minutes it'll just go to very dim all by itself. (iPhone 6 with latest iOS.)

The only way for me to get out of it seems to be to turn my iPhone off and then back on. SUPER annoying...

Anyone here got other suggestions?

(besides the standard advice to "do a soft/hard reset, you won't lose anything.. Yeah, right...)

There is no such thing as a hard or soft reset with an iPhone, only a reset, generally done by pressing and holding the Home and power buttons until the Apple appears. And, no, resetting your phone does not delete any data. The behavior your seeing is not normal. If the standard troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue or you are uncomfortable trying them, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Make a back up first as, if they have to replace your phone, you will lose all of your data not back up.

Mar 18, 2015 5:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Whenever I'd go to an Apple Store they would ask if I'd tried restarting my phone? (Soft reset). The follow up question is usually "how about a hard reset?"

So maybe those aren't the official terms but they're being used even by the apple "geniuses" themselves, at least at the stores I've visited. Hard reset definitely deletes some settings...

Thanks for the suggestion, if it doesn't get any better I'll definitely visit an Apple store again...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to-reset-the-iphone/

Mar 18, 2015 5:52 PM in response to apple-av8or

apple-av8or wrote:

Whenever I'd go to an Apple Store they would ask if I'd tried restarting my phone? (Soft reset). The follow up question is usually "how about a hard reset?"

So maybe those aren't the official terms but they're being used even by the apple "geniuses" themselves, at least at the stores I've visited. Hard reset definitely deletes some settings...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to-reset-the-iphone/

I've never heard anyone official call anything a hard reset. What that (very old article) is referring to is erasing the phone. Definitely NOT the same thing as a reset. In the "interesting" thread to which the article refers makes Allan Sampson makes the same point I do.

Here is the official Apple article on reseting:

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

However, my larger point is, if a reset (as defined by Apple in the above article) doesn't help, the next steps would be restoring from back up and, if that didn't help, restoring as new. I'm more inclined to think what you have is a hardware problem, though.

stop iphone from dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.