Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Footnotes

I'm currently typesetting a document ready for publication, and I'm having real problems with inconsistent spacing between the bottom of my body of text and my footnotes: on most pages they are the correct distance, 0.6cm, but occasionally, and seemingly in groups/batches, the distance is either much smaller than that or much larger.

This doesn't happen with the headers, only the footers, so is this something to do with simply the font-size not always fitting in equally on each page? Thanks!

Posted on May 6, 2013 12:53 PM

9 replies

May 7, 2013 10:18 AM in response to TomCook24

How can page numbers cause a problem? They are only text in the footer (now that we have sorted out what it actually was).

Menu > View > Show Layout

Have you set the position of the footer and text margins correctly so they are clearly separated? You haven't by any chance increased the footer font size and/or number of lines to the point where it overlaps the main text?

Peter

May 7, 2013 5:43 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Another thing I checked straight away sadly.

The exact problem is that the space between the bottom line of the text and the page number in the footer below it. It's the text itself that is inconsistent; I'm wondering if it's to do with the number of lines-per-page – could certain configurations of letters (eg. a page with lots of y's, g's, etc. with long tails) mean the text won't fit exactly on every page?

TC

May 7, 2013 7:34 PM in response to TomCook24

TomCook24 wrote:

Another thing I checked straight away sadly.

The exact problem is that the space between the bottom line of the text and the page number in the footer below it. It's the text itself that is inconsistent; I'm wondering if it's to do with the number of lines-per-page – could certain configurations of letters (eg. a page with lots of y's, g's, etc. with long tails) mean the text won't fit exactly on every page?

TC

Text is set on specified leading, the ascenders and descenders play no part, they are just positioned within the 'lead'.

What can affect the setting is if you use proportional spacing instead of "Exact" and then have inline objects or varying point sizes, that can throw it out.

Also if you have multiple columns, the succeeding columns don't start at the same point as the first, something I've always thought was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Peter

PS I am not at home at the moment, am on the road, but if you can wait till the weekend to get a reply, email me the document with the problem.

Footnotes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.