Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs are in reverse order?

I recently bought an iPod Shuffle, and while it works greatly, I have run into a bit of a problem with the playlist... I have one playlist that is in order in a certain way, and I need to memorize this order. But for some reason, all of my songs are played and listed in reserve. In the "On This iPod" tab, it does not allow me to change the numbered list or sort the songs or anything. I'd just manually rearrange the computer playlist and then sync it, but I am constantly added new songs and I don't want to have to redo my playlist every single time I want to charge my ipod on my laptop and it goes to sync (plus there is a lot of songs).

I can't find any recent help articles on this, and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I don't have a phone or any other form of portable music device, so this is the only way I can consistantly learn the order.

iPod shuffle

Posted on May 6, 2013 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2013 5:27 PM

The latest iTunes may hide the sidebar. If you are a longtime iTunes user, it may be easier using the sidebar. To show the sidebar, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When the sidebar is visible, the On This iPod view goes away; you use the content list under the shuffle in the sidebar instead. If you are new to iTunes, the "new way" may be easier. As a very longtime iTunes user, I like the sidebar way.

The music list on the shuffle cannot be modified directly if you are using automatic syncing. If you set the shuffle to Manually manage music, on the shufflle's Summary screen, you CAN modify the shuffle's music list in iTunes directly. So that may be one solution. But that means you need to create and maintain playlists on the shuffle directly, and add songs by dragging them to the shuffle (or the playlists on the shuffle).

However, you should be able to set the playlist order you want on the iTunes playlist, and automatically sync that playlist to the iPod. When you view the playlist in iTunes (as a plain list), be sure to have the left-most column heading (the one above the column of sequential numbers) selected as the sort order. That is playlist order, and you can drag songs around on the playlist to change the playlist order as desired.

One other aspect of using the 4th gen shuffle is using VoiceOver to select options on the shuffle. When you play songs on the shuffle, you need to select the playlist (from the Playlist Menu) using VoiceOver. Even if there is only one playlist on the shuffle, if you don't specifically select it, you may be playing songs from the default All Songs list, which has its own play order. This document has information about setting up and using VoiceOver on a shuffle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4322

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2013 5:27 PM in response to BeatriceTuesday

The latest iTunes may hide the sidebar. If you are a longtime iTunes user, it may be easier using the sidebar. To show the sidebar, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When the sidebar is visible, the On This iPod view goes away; you use the content list under the shuffle in the sidebar instead. If you are new to iTunes, the "new way" may be easier. As a very longtime iTunes user, I like the sidebar way.

The music list on the shuffle cannot be modified directly if you are using automatic syncing. If you set the shuffle to Manually manage music, on the shufflle's Summary screen, you CAN modify the shuffle's music list in iTunes directly. So that may be one solution. But that means you need to create and maintain playlists on the shuffle directly, and add songs by dragging them to the shuffle (or the playlists on the shuffle).

However, you should be able to set the playlist order you want on the iTunes playlist, and automatically sync that playlist to the iPod. When you view the playlist in iTunes (as a plain list), be sure to have the left-most column heading (the one above the column of sequential numbers) selected as the sort order. That is playlist order, and you can drag songs around on the playlist to change the playlist order as desired.

One other aspect of using the 4th gen shuffle is using VoiceOver to select options on the shuffle. When you play songs on the shuffle, you need to select the playlist (from the Playlist Menu) using VoiceOver. Even if there is only one playlist on the shuffle, if you don't specifically select it, you may be playing songs from the default All Songs list, which has its own play order. This document has information about setting up and using VoiceOver on a shuffle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4322

Songs are in reverse order?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.