Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express wont connect to wifi

My airport flashes amber when I plug it in. I have a mac book pro and after opening Airport utility in applications it will not recognise it. I reset the airport express with the little reset button, plugged back in, stil amber flash..

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on May 6, 2013 6:04 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2013 6:22 AM in response to seanfatboy

Hello,

I found two articles that are applicable to your situation. The first goes over the status lights and what they all mean, and the second one specifically addresses your issue with the blinking amber status light.

AirPort base stations: About AirPort base station status lights (LED)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4600

Wi-Fi base station: Understanding and resolving a blinking amber status light

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1589

I'd follow these steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

Launch AirPort Utility to determine why your Wi-Fi base station status light is blinking amber. 
Apple recommends that you use AirPort Utility 5.5.2 for Mac, AirPort Utility 5.5.2 for Windows, or a newer version of AirPort Utility if one is available.

1. AirPort Utility 5.2 or later opens automatically if your Wi-Fi base station requires your attention. You may also choose to launch AirPort Utility at any time.
 Do not use any version of AirPort Utility earlier than 5.0.
    In Mac OS X, AirPort Utility is located in the Applications > Utilities folder.
    In Microsoft Windows, AirPort Utility can be located by clicking Start > All Programs > AirPort.
    Note: You may also locate and download the latest Wi-Fi base station firmware and software by clicking here.
  2. In the AirPort Utility window, locate your Wi-Fi base station and double-click on it to open the Summary window. Note: If you have more than one Wi-Fi base station, double-click on the icon for the Wi-Fi base station that has the amber circle next to it.
  3. When the Summary window appears, double-click the amber circle to the right of Wi-Fi base station Status to open the Status window.
  4. The Status window lists any conditions that require your attention. Respond to each item until there are no more items listed.
    Important
    : You must reset the Wi-Fi base station using the reset switch to re-enable checking for the conditions you ignored.
  5. Eliminating the blinking, amber status light may require making changes to a specific setting, or putting a checkmark in the "Ignore" checkbox beside any option you don't wish to change. A checkmark simply tells the AirPort that you are aware of the issue and you have chosen to ignore it. For example, you may wish to leave your AirPort open without a password so that anyone can join your wireless network.
  6. Click Update to apply your changes (the Wi-Fi base station will restart).
  7. After the Wi-Fi base station has restarted, the status light should be green and not blinking. If the status light stays amber in color and blinks after the Wi-Fi base station restarts, you may repeat the steps above.

Hope that helps,

David

Airport express wont connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.