I have had this ongoing problem for some time, I was asked to reissue it to learn more about the next step in my troubleshooting isolation and maybe get some fresh ideas. I have an Apple G3 B/W PPC desktop ( my RAM is woefully low and I know I need to add more) with an Upgraded G4 Processor. My problem is two-fold; 1) I am unable to highlight text for the purpose of copy/paste/delete. This occurs when I am in a internet browser, Mail or an Application, such as Microsoft Office. 2) I am also unable to move windows on my desktop.
I have had a number of troubleshooting recommendations ,among the ones I have executed:
I have done items 1 - 4
1) Safe Boot>Use Disk Utility > repair Permissions>Repair Hard Drive >Retest problems( tested both in Safe/Normal Mode)
2) Used Applejack to assure my hardware was in good working order >Safe Boot >Disk Utilities >Repair Permissions > Retest Problems ( tested in both Modes)
3) Create New Account to verify if problem is Account Specific
4) Disconnect all Peripherals and non Apple Hardware (USB Hub and HIGH SPEED PCI USB Adapter
RECOMMENDATIONS MADE BY APPLE DISCUSSION GROUP MEMBERS
5) Performed OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update > Retest Problems
6) Check Ownership & Permission of the following Files
User/You User Name/Preferences/com.apple.finder,plist
**All files were set to READ & WRITE
7) Was recommended to execute Archive & Install of OS X 10.4. Tiger >Software Update > Safe Boot >Disk Utility > Repair Permissions > Retest Problem
8) was recommended to read http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21161?viewlocale=en US **Stated that Idid not experience symptoms outlined in document. Was informed that /tmp folder was also responsible for Copy/Paste
9) was provided a program, /tmp to be inputted into my computer*
* THIS IS THE NEXT STEP. I have several questions regarding inputing the /tmp program into my computer, since this is my first attempt at entering code
a) Do I use the Terminal program listed in the Utilities App?
b) Do I enter the lines of code one at a time or do I copy and paste the whole program?
c) Is there anything special I need to do to exit the program when I have completed the line by line code input or the copy/paste input?
PLEASE REVIEW THE STEPS I HAVE TAKEN, IF YOU HAVE RECOMMENDATIONS OR QUESTIONS FOR ME, PLEASE REPLY