Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect dvd recorder and mac with usb

I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT700 Blu-ray Disc Recorder, and an iMac Desktop computer 10.8.3

The DVD recorder has a USB port on the front.

If I connect the recorder and my desktop with a USB cable, can I transfer TV programmes I want to archive that I have on the DVD recorder HDD onto my desktop, and from there onto my LaCie external HD ?

Alternatively, could I connect an external HD directly to the DVD recorder via the USB port : if so, is there an external HD that is better than another ?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 7:24 AM

I would read the manual of the panasonic device as the usb port could be for updating firmware only like that of the appletv

the thing is with these devices is that to avoid piracy they are very protective and encryptive about what they record

and connecting acceries to it and expect the disc recorder to work wit them are a bit of a long shot

but read the manual even if yo don't have it anymore a quick google should provide you with the pdf in no time

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 7:24 AM in response to ringnib

I would read the manual of the panasonic device as the usb port could be for updating firmware only like that of the appletv

the thing is with these devices is that to avoid piracy they are very protective and encryptive about what they record

and connecting acceries to it and expect the disc recorder to work wit them are a bit of a long shot

but read the manual even if yo don't have it anymore a quick google should provide you with the pdf in no time

May 7, 2013 8:24 AM in response to ringnib

I am going to go with Rudegar on this.

The USB port may be only for doing software updates to the recorder or for hooking up peripheral devices like camcorders, digital cameras or Flash Drives. It is an input only connection. It will not output Blu-ray Disc data through that port to the Mac.

What you want to do won't work.

There are other ways to accomplish what you want to do, but the forum rules forbid us from talking about such activities as this is considered a form of piracy and, therefore, no one will be able to help with your issues here.

Google is your friend in these matters.

May 7, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for getting back to me.

The manual for the DVD recorder says ' If you connect a Panasonic product with a USB connection cable, setup screen may be displayed on the connected equipment. For details, refer to the instructions for the connected equipment . . . To select a drive press [DRIVE SELECT] to select the media drive that you operate'

The diagram shows the end of a USB connection cable pointed towards the USB port, with arrow heads in front of it indicating both towards and away from the USB port.

This is clear as mud to me ! Can you shed any light ?

May 7, 2013 4:52 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for getting back to me.

The manual for the DVD recorder says ' If you connect a Panasonic product with a USB connection cable, setup screen may be displayed on the connected equipment. For details, refer to the instructions for the connected equipment . . . To select a drive press [DRIVE SELECT] to select the media drive that you operate'

The diagram shows the end of a USB connection cable pointed towards the USB port, with arrow heads in front of it indicating both towards and away from the USB port.

This is clear as mud to me ! Can you shed any light ?

May 7, 2013 5:23 PM in response to ringnib

That will simply not work directly. I used to have one with Firewire and there was a way to connect and transfer homemade movies directly into iMovie while it was running,but that was a very old iMovie version which would not work with the current OS. and, as already mentioned, due to DRM and copyright issues, we can't discuss copying commercial DVDs.

May 8, 2013 6:23 AM in response to ringnib

Sorry, I should have been clearer - it is still copyrighted content whether it is a movie or some TV program. They don't want you to copy it, that's why they offered the Olympics on media for sale (I considered buying some but decided not to because I had my own legal copy: I videotaped the events while I was there).

connect dvd recorder and mac with usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.