Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life span - 1000 cycles

When reading about battery Apple claims that the battery is dsign to last up to 1000 cycles before it reaches 80% capacity.

Is the battery lifespan really 'up to' 1000 cycles or is it 'at least' 1000 cycles?

iPad

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 1:09 AM

The battery lifespan does not mean the battery runs up against a number of cycles and instantly drops dead ;-)

"A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs."

From here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 1:09 AM in response to e5tomase

The battery lifespan does not mean the battery runs up against a number of cycles and instantly drops dead ;-)

"A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs."

From here.

May 7, 2013 3:35 AM in response to tonefox

Ok, I will rephrase my question:

Does Apple ensure a (undamaged and proper maintained) battery to have 'up to' 80% of its capacity after 1000 cycles OR do they mean that the battery shall have 'at least' 80% of its capacity after 1000 cycles?

If the text with the phrasing "up to" is correct I interpret it as:

- No battery will have above 80% capacity after 1000 cycles.

- A battery that have 0-1000 cycles has a capacity between 0-100%.

What I'm getting at is that this statement doesn't promise anything at all, and Apple doesn't ensure any performance at all from their batteries.

Or I have totally misunderstood the meaning of "up to" and "at least".

May 7, 2013 3:53 AM in response to e5tomase

The predicted life cycle of Lithium-Ion batteries is now 1,000 charge cycles, the point at which the charge capacity of the battery declines to 80% of the as-built capacity. A few years ago the predicted life cycle was 300-500 charge cycles. So there has been great improvement in Lithium-Ion technology.

But keep in mind that there is no guarantee that a particular battery will achieve that predicted life cycle. The prediction is nothing more than that peak of the normal distribution, i.e., bell-curve, of the total population of Lithium-Ion batteries. The statistical distribution means that there will be batteries that fail earlier than the peak, as well as batteries that fail much later than the peak. The vast majority will make it to the peak before capacity drops to 80% of the as-built capacity.

In addition to normal distribution of life cycles, the environmental exposure and use pattern will significantly affect the cycle life of the battery. Lithium-Ion technology is VERY sensitive to temperatures, that is why the portable devices all have a usable temperature range, and recommendations on storage temperature. Heat and cold adversely affect the life of the battery.

Discharge/charge behavior have an impact on battery life cycle...deep discharge/charge are very detrimental. And contraty to published information, that does not calibrate the battery. It merely calibrates the charge reporting circuitry. Discharge to 50% and then charge has been shown in tests to result in four to five times the battery cycle life of discharge to shutdown and charge.

So keep your battery in the proper temperature range, and only discharge to 50% before recharging if you want longer battery life.

Battery life span - 1000 cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.