Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lubricate fans?

Hi,

I have a 2009 2.66GHz Quad core MacPro. I've had it from new and it's been very reliable. Just recently a friend asked me to take a look at his MacBook Pro as the fans were making a lot of noise. I managed to squirt a small amount of silicon lubricant into the fans and it has made a big improvement although it's still not as quiet as it once was.

Now that my MacPro is approaching four years old and is used every day I was wondering if I should pre-emptively lubricate the main cooling fans to reduce wear or are these larger fans in the MacPro better more durable than the tiny fans found in the MacBookPro laptops and I'm worrying unecessarily?

Are they easy to remove? I'm reluctant to lubricate them in case they throw any lubricant off into the surroundings of the MacPro but at the same time want to prolong the life of one of the only moving parts in the machine other than the hard drives.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dave.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), www.DaveGaskellPictures.com

Posted on May 7, 2013 1:40 AM

1 reply

May 7, 2013 1:49 AM in response to d60Dave

I wouldn't so much lubricate them as free them of dust. Compressed air is good to do that, but you have to be careful not to let its foam accumulate on the machine, as that can then act as an insulator. The Apple Stores frequently will also clean machines of dust. When I had my Mac Mini brought in for a dead optical drive they also freed the machine of dust on the spot, as part of the service to check how the optical drive worked.

Lubricate fans?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.