Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to sell my ipod classic 3rd generation but I no longer have the account details - how can I erase all of my details so the person I give my ipod to can start up again with itunes?

I have an ipod classic 3rd generation. I want to give it to my sister but I want to restore all the settings so she can start up with it as new on itunes. Only problem is I do not have the computer or account details that I set up the ipod with some years ago when I first got it. Is there a way I can do this without itunes?

Posted on May 7, 2013 3:00 AM

1 reply

May 9, 2013 2:22 AM in response to LeahGoodingGemma

You can do it without any "account details." But you need a computer that runs iTunes. Just plug it into a computer that has iTunes running and do a Restore on the iPod. This will erase the iPod, re-install its software, and set it to default settings.

There is one potential problem, if this really is a 3rd gen iPod from 2003. Does it have a touch wheel (not a click wheel) with four playback touch buttons in a row that glow orange when the screen backlight comes on?

If that's the iPod model you have, it is designed to work with a FireWire connection, not USB. It has the standard dock connector, but it cannot charge using a USB connection. If your sister has a Mac (or Windows PC) with a FireWire port, it should work fine with the latest iTunes. Otherwise, it may be a problem.

I want to sell my ipod classic 3rd generation but I no longer have the account details - how can I erase all of my details so the person I give my ipod to can start up again with itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.