my screen goes black and computer freezes. I know this is a software based problem. Any suggestions?
Currently Being ModeratedRe: my screen goes black and computer freezes. I know this is a software based problem. Any suggestions?May 9, 2013 7:35 AM (in response to nattygrimm)
I was looking into the issue you are describing and found a great resource to try and fix the issue without having to re install the OS. It is an article called Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199.
I recommend starting here:
The first and easiest test to try is to see if the issue affects a different user account on your Mac. Each user account has customized preferences and other items stored in its home directory. You'll first need to create an additional user if one does not already exist (follow steps a-h below). Then, log out of the current user and test the issue in the new user account.
If this resolves the issue, there may be an issue with a file in the home directory of the original user account.
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
- From the View menu, choose Accounts (or choose Users if using Mac OS X v10.2 or earlier).
- Click "+" (or click New User if using Mac OS X v10.2 or earlier).
- Give the new user a name and short name.
- Mac OS X v10.3 or earlier only: Click the Password tab, and give the user a password.
- Mac OS X v10.3 or earlier only: Click Security.
- Select the checkbox for "Allow user to administer this computer". This makes the user account an administrator.
- Click OK, or quit System Preferences.
Work your way down the article as needed.
All the best,