Previous 1 2 Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2015 12:50 PM by adsilva
KCDavidson Level 1 Level 1

I have a 2012 Subaru Forester and when I get in, my iPhone5 won't connect to my Bluetooth radio.  I have my Bluetooth radio knows about the phone, but the iPhone5 just won't connect. I have to go and delete the iPhone5 from the radio memory and then pair the radio & the iPhone5 again, then it connects and works great until I shut off the car. Then when I get back in or restart the car I have to go through this all over again. Anybody got any ideas? It is driving me crazy and i just got my iPhone5 a week ago. Now I am not a real iPhone Savvy user, so it may just be something I have not set properly. So can some one Help? Please!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4
Reply by ChrisJ4203 on May 7, 2013 7:21 AM Helpful
The iPhone 5 uses the latest Bluetooth stack. Suggest you contact the auto manufacturer and see if there is an update to the vehicle's system. This is generally what can cause these types of problems. It can take a little while for vehicle manufacturers to have the systems work with newer systems. This would explain why you can connect, but it does not seem to remember the device the next time the vehicle is used. You can try some of the troubleshooting in this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664
Reply by KCDavidson on May 7, 2013 5:18 PM Helpful
Thanks I have contacted Subaru and also my dealer to see if they can find a update for my radio

All replies

• ChrisJ4203 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

The iPhone 5 uses the latest Bluetooth stack. Suggest you contact the auto manufacturer and see if there is an update to the vehicle's system. This is generally what can cause these types of problems. It can take a little while for vehicle manufacturers to have the systems work with newer systems. This would explain why you can connect, but it does not seem to remember the device the next time the vehicle is used.

You can try some of the troubleshooting in this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664

• KatieFromIa Level 1 Level 1

I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Ford Escape.  There'e an update for their Sync system that will more than likely fix this issue.  I'm heading out to the dealership this week to have them do the update. 

• KCDavidson Level 1 Level 1

Thanks I have contacted Subaru and also my dealer to see if they can find a update for my radio

• petso339 Level 1 Level 1

I don't know if you resolved your problem yet, I had the same problem with my new 5s iPhone and my audio system in my car (Pionner D4300), what works for me is getting into the bluetooth menu in the audio system in my car enter the tool manu than push the "REG" (Registry) button while my iPhone was connected to the audio i got a massage that my phone is registrated and that it.

Hope it will help.

• michaelta Level 1 Level 1

Hi, guys...there's a fix for this (I have a 5s and an Impreza).  First of all, Subaru can't update the radios...once they're installed in the car, there is no possibility of firmware updates.  Secondly, not everyone has a NAV system in the their cars, so instructions I've seen vary across forum posts.

Here's the simple universal fix:  Pair your phone using the car's voice commands (buttons on your steering wheel)...not using the menu button and dial on the radio itself.  For some reason, using the voice commands to pair the phone makes the phone autoconnect every time after the pair, whereas using the stereo buttons doesn't let the phone reconnect.  It's a bug in the system, but this is the workaround.  I just did it, and it works great.

• zaco1234 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks michaelta! I was skeptical it would work, but you're 100% right. Works if you use the voice command button from the steering wheel instead of the stereo console buttons.

Thanks!

• LJ423 Level 1 Level 1

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much.  It's been driving me crazy since I got my 5S!!

• guy242 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks michaelta! it worked

• PaulJorge62 Level 1 Level 1

This had been bugging me for weeks.  I went to the Apple Store and they could not help.  At their suggestion, I went back to the phone company store where I bought my iPhone 5S and they gave me a new iPhone, but I still had the same problem.  MichaelTa's suggestion worked.  I had just about given up trying to get this fixed.

• roundart Level 1 Level 1

100% worked.  The actual voice commands for my 2013 XV were as follows:  SETUP, PHONE SETUP, PAIR PHONE.  I had to remove my paired device on my 5s first, then I started fresh with the voice commands, and now everytime I get into the car, it pairs up automatically, just like my 4s used to do.  Thanks for sharing! 

• johnnygill Level 1 Level 1

My Subaru Forester 2012 wouldn't reconnect automatically to my new phone.

It did my head in for months.

Thanks guys, because of you, I worked this out.  My Forester needed the "handsfree" setup, not just a Bluetooth pairing.  Reading your posts, suggesting to setup the phone through the steering wheel buttons worked.

But only to initiate the hansfree component.

From turning car accessories on - Pressing "off hook" button on the wheel, initiates the "handsfree" setup.  Because I'd done this originally, my old phone was in here.  Deleted it using the tune dial (no voice commands) and deleted pairing on iPhone 4.

Turned car off, and back on again, pressed "off hook" and using tune dial, recorded new phone profile name, and paired the phone.  Now it auto connects everytime I get in the car

Woohoo.

Johnny

• carolinefromid Level 1 Level 1

I have a Subaru Outback 2012 with the navigation package - and those voice commands that seem to work for everyone else are not working for me.  In my naviation manual - those phrases are not recognized.  When i say "setup" she wants to send me to a mexican restaurant...  I know i am not the only one out there with the Nav system in your subaru - i went through and deleted my old iphone 4s and tried to establish connection with my iphone 5s.  i can use the bluetooth to make calls - the bluetooth audio doesnt connect to play music.

• IrishIndy Level 1 Level 1

Any updates on this as applied to Subaru and dropped bluetooth mid calls?

• MeisterFritz Level 1 Level 1

Let's go one step further with this discussion.  There was NO problem pairing my iPhone 5 to my newly acquired 2015 Subaru Forester.  However, adding contacts is another issue.  My previous 2011 Hyundai Elantra would readily sync Contacts, the full list.

I cannot see how this is possible with the Subaru.  How does one push or sync the entire Contact list with BlueTooth?  In the alternative, each contact must be entered manually which is a lengthy and tedious task.

Any response to this inquiry would be appreciated.  However, I do not believe it can be done.

Thanks!

Previous 1 2 Next