Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone5 won't reconnect to my Subaru Forester Bluetooth radio. I have to go and delete the iphone from the radio and pair the phone and radio everytime. I never had this issue with my samsung

I have a 2012 Subaru Forester and when I get in, my iPhone5 won't connect to my Bluetooth radio. I have my Bluetooth radio knows about the phone, but the iPhone5 just won't connect. I have to go and delete the iPhone5 from the radio memory and then pair the radio & the iPhone5 again, then it connects and works great until I shut off the car. Then when I get back in or restart the car I have to go through this all over again. Anybody got any ideas? It is driving me crazy and i just got my iPhone5 a week ago. Now I am not a real iPhone Savvy user, so it may just be something I have not set properly. So can some one Help? Please!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 7, 2013 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 7:21 AM

The iPhone 5 uses the latest Bluetooth stack. Suggest you contact the auto manufacturer and see if there is an update to the vehicle's system. This is generally what can cause these types of problems. It can take a little while for vehicle manufacturers to have the systems work with newer systems. This would explain why you can connect, but it does not seem to remember the device the next time the vehicle is used.

You can try some of the troubleshooting in this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 7:21 AM in response to KCDavidson

The iPhone 5 uses the latest Bluetooth stack. Suggest you contact the auto manufacturer and see if there is an update to the vehicle's system. This is generally what can cause these types of problems. It can take a little while for vehicle manufacturers to have the systems work with newer systems. This would explain why you can connect, but it does not seem to remember the device the next time the vehicle is used.

You can try some of the troubleshooting in this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664

Nov 7, 2013 2:16 AM in response to KCDavidson

I don't know if you resolved your problem yet, I had the same problem with my new 5s iPhone and my audio system in my car (Pionner D4300), what works for me is getting into the bluetooth menu in the audio system in my car enter the tool manu than push the "REG" (Registry) button while my iPhone was connected to the audio i got a massage that my phone is registrated and that it.

Hope it will help.

Nov 7, 2013 6:25 AM in response to KCDavidson

Hi, guys...there's a fix for this (I have a 5s and an Impreza). First of all, Subaru can't update the radios...once they're installed in the car, there is no possibility of firmware updates. Secondly, not everyone has a NAV system in the their cars, so instructions I've seen vary across forum posts.

Here's the simple universal fix: Pair your phone using the car's voice commands (buttons on your steering wheel)...not using the menu button and dial on the radio itself. For some reason, using the voice commands to pair the phone makes the phone autoconnect every time after the pair, whereas using the stereo buttons doesn't let the phone reconnect. It's a bug in the system, but this is the workaround. I just did it, and it works great.

Feb 18, 2014 2:39 PM in response to KCDavidson

My Subaru Forester 2012 wouldn't reconnect automatically to my new phone.

It did my head in for months.

Thanks guys, because of you, I worked this out. My Forester needed the "handsfree" setup, not just a Bluetooth pairing. Reading your posts, suggesting to setup the phone through the steering wheel buttons worked.

But only to initiate the hansfree component.

From turning car accessories on - Pressing "off hook" button on the wheel, initiates the "handsfree" setup. Because I'd done this originally, my old phone was in here. Deleted it using the tune dial (no voice commands) and deleted pairing on iPhone 4.

Turned car off, and back on again, pressed "off hook" and using tune dial, recorded new phone profile name, and paired the phone. Now it auto connects everytime I get in the car 🙂🙂

Woohoo.

Johnny

Mar 2, 2014 10:52 AM in response to michaelta

I have a Subaru Outback 2012 with the navigation package - and those voice commands that seem to work for everyone else are not working for me. In my naviation manual - those phrases are not recognized. When i say "setup" she wants to send me to a mexican restaurant... I know i am not the only one out there with the Nav system in your subaru - i went through and deleted my old iphone 4s and tried to establish connection with my iphone 5s. i can use the bluetooth to make calls - the bluetooth audio doesnt connect to play music.

Apr 25, 2014 11:11 AM in response to michaelta

Let's go one step further with this discussion. There was NO problem pairing my iPhone 5 to my newly acquired 2015 Subaru Forester. However, adding contacts is another issue. My previous 2011 Hyundai Elantra would readily sync Contacts, the full list.

I cannot see how this is possible with the Subaru. How does one push or sync the entire Contact list with BlueTooth? In the alternative, each contact must be entered manually which is a lengthy and tedious task.

Any response to this inquiry would be appreciated. However, I do not believe it can be done.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2014 2:01 PM in response to MeisterFritz

The vehicle would have to support PBAP, or Phone Book Access Profile. The vehicle is what initiates the download of the contacts, not the phone. It does not require any input on the phone's part. You need to ensure the vehicle system supports that profile, and it should initate the download after the iPhone is connected to the vehicle. I do not use a Subaru, however this is the way the vehicle systems work. Only one example I remember reading required the user to click on something in the vehicle to get the phonebook download to start. You might also want to check to see how many contacts it will hold. I know with my 2012 Sonata Hybrid, the system will only sync and hold 1000 contacts.

My iPhone5 won't reconnect to my Subaru Forester Bluetooth radio. I have to go and delete the iphone from the radio and pair the phone and radio everytime. I never had this issue with my samsung

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.