Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband custom "user-loops" files missing

I'm using Garageband '09 (Version 5.1 (398) and I am having trouble locating my custom "user loops" files.

I know that custom made apple loops are saved in

Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops

I have about 100 loops saved in the folder, but in Garageband I have over 200 saved custom made loops that work fine. I am able to use all of the loops, only about half of them have files in the correct place.

Doing a spotlight search does not find anything, even when I search for the custom loop name exactly and search "This Mac" and "Library".

One strange thing I've found is when viewing the loops browser, at the top there is a dropdown labeled "Loops" that offers the filters "My Loops" and "Shared Loops on my Mac". It seems that I can only find the files for "My Loops" and the "Shared Loops on my Mac" are the missing ones.

Is there another place these files could be saved? I can use them in Garageband so they must be somewhere.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 7, 2013 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 7:55 AM

Is there another place these files could be saved? I can use them in Garageband so they must be somewhere.

You have looked in your User Library, right? ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops

The loops could also be installed in the System Library, directly on your HD: To open this location, select the path below, ctrl-click it, and use the command Services > Reveal from the pop-up menu.

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/SingleFiles/

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 7:55 AM in response to JZCaws

You have looked in your User Library, right? ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops

The loops could also be installed in the System Library, directly on your HD: To open this location, select the path below, ctrl-click it, and use the command Services > Reveal from the pop-up menu.

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/SingleFiles/

Regards

Léonie

May 7, 2013 9:27 AM in response to JZCaws

How can I create loops that are "My Loops" vs "Shared Loops on my Mac" on purpose.

Check your Preferences setting:

User uploaded file

In the "Loops" tab of the Preferences panel - the "My Apple Loops" option.

If you share your loops with all users on your mac (users havg different accounts) then the loops will be installed in the System Library, but if you do not share, your loops will be installed in your user library. If you log in from a different account you will not be able to use them.

Regards

Léonie

I don't have Logic installed, but both installation places should make it possible for Logic and MainStage to use the loops. It is the standard place where applications are looking for Apple Loops.

Garageband custom "user-loops" files missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.