Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Change the Ports for WebDAV file shares.

Title says it all. I have another piece of software using port 80 and 443, I'd like to create iOS shares using WebDAV but I can't find anywhere in the GUI to change the port numbers and I can't work out whether I need to do something involving Apache virtual hosts and if so which config files are relevant to the WebDAV server.

Someone must have done this by now, anyone know how its done???!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 7, 2013 9:26 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Waragainstsleep

WebDAV uses Apache, and Apache uses TCP ports 80 and 443 by default.

If your new application is web-based and is hosted using Apache, then create a new virtual host — Apple calls virtual hosts "sites" in various of its GUIs — and load your "stuff" into the directory (folder) created for and associated with that particular virtual host (site), and configure it for Apache.

A virtual host can have WebDAV enabled. Or not.

There are other web servers and web services that can be installed and used on OS X and OS X Server, and some applications are entirely self-hosting; that is they connect and use TCP port 80 or port 443 by themselves. Without Apache. Those can't be coordinated with Apache on the same host (or virtual machine guest), as Apache (by default) wants to have one or both of those ports for itself, too. (So while your "title says it all", some background around the particular problem or requirements you're working toward could be helpful.)

May 8, 2013 11:51 AM in response to Waragainstsleep

OK, so I worked out which files to edit and I actually managed to change the Apache/WebDAV ports on a clean 10.8 Server.

By clean I mean I installed 10.8.0, updated to 10.8.3 via the combo updater, then installed the latest version of Server app and configured the services.

Having done that I was able to make the required changes and all is working well. I then replicated the process on my live server but it throws up an error when I try to start up the WebDAV sharing.

This thread outlines the same issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4199421?start=0&tstart=0

I am getting this exact problem, in that any manual change at all to the 0000_any_443_.conf file will cause WebDAV to fail to start. This is annoying because I need to change that file. Its also annoying because the problem isnt there on my 'clean' server.

I deleted the entire /Library/Server/ folder and the Server.app and reinstalled Server.app from the App Store, recreating the /Library/Server folder from scratch. This cleared out the apache config files which I tried to re-modify, but all the file sharing settings were retained. Does anyone think it would be worth deleting all the sharepoints? Any other ideas?

How Can I Change the Ports for WebDAV file shares.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.