Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get a 13" or 15" Macbook Pro with retina laptop?

I, FINALLY, after one year of wanting to get a new laptop to use as my primary computer replacing my desktop computer at home.........have decided to switch gears from a Windows computer to a MACBOOK PRO with RETINA laptop. It's not an easy decision when you are spending SO much money on something you hope will last a long time as I do NOT plan on getting a new laptop once I buy this one for a very long time (until it breaks / can no longer function)!

My dilemma now is whether to go with the high end 13" Macbook Pro OR get a similar if not higher end 15" Macbook Pro. Here's background on myself and what I plan on using the laptop for:

• I plan on using it as my new primary computer for home so primarily for my personal use, but I will be using it also for work so I will be using it for basically EVERYTHING!
  • I will use it to do word processing (MS Word), to do my finances (reconcile my bank stmts/accounts), using MS Excel for accounting work, check my emails, research the Internet, photo editing (pretty much basic, definitely not advanced) and creating slideshows with my photos/music, downloading/playing music. I do not plan on using it to play any games.
  • I use alot of MS Office / Excel and some Powerpoint - either for work or home.
  • I need alot of storage space for photos (recreational - up to 400 per vacation trip) and I plan on creating slideshows with the photos using Apple's great photo/video/slideshow apps! At last count, I had about 100GB of photo files.
  • I also need alot of storage for my music files - I have @ least 12GB of music right now and am always downloading more each year.
  • I plan on taking it with me outside of home only on the weekends for the most part like to a cafe (Starbucks) or library, but not for anything further than that (not for travel as I will just take my ipad).
  • I know it's only ~1lb difference in weight, but a couple of my concerns is since it will be my primary home computer (i.e.I'll be using it in the evenings/on the weekends and probably more (since it's an Apple!) to work on photos/slideshows, if the screen size difference will matter in the longrun in terms of having any impact on my vision (not sure if the 2" will make a difference in that). I'm only 45yo, but I do worry about that! I tried both the 13" and 15" in the Apple store and the only difference I saw was that the 15" screen allowed you to have multiple programs visible on the screen side by side, but viewing the actual programs was the same (in size). I don't really view programs side by side right now (I use the ALT-TAB shortcut alot to view multiple programs I have open at once), but I could see how having programs viewable side by side could come in handy.
  • I had a Toshiba 17" laptop before that was too HEAVY to lug around even if on the weekend so I no longer want a heavy laptop and want something more portable to take with me on my weekend excursions to the local cafe/library which basically means going from home to car and car to location at most, but when I go to use the restroom, I like to take it with me (do not feel safe leaving it behind on table) so I don't want it too heavy.

I do plan on getting me a Western Digital external hard drive to backup ALL my files yet since I plan on keeping the computer for as long as it'll hold up, I want to make sure I have alot of storage to keep up with me. I like the flashdrive component because there are fewer moving parts so less likely to have problems in the long run and given that (despite my need for alot of storage), I'll backup my photos/music to external drives should I end up maxing out on my storage.

I value your opinions, please help me DECIDE!!!!! I'm frustrated and it's driving me nuts!!! I know it's too much to ask, but if they had a 14", I would probably go with it! A 2" difference seems pretty big. :-)

THANK YOU!!!

@@

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 7, 2013 10:26 AM

12 replies

May 7, 2013 11:14 AM in response to arleena67

Hello, and welcome to the Apple Discussions community.

If you plan to spend that much time in front of a computer, in the long run you will be happier with the 15" screen, especially if you will do a lot of work with spreadsheets and photos. A 15" screen is actually quite a bit more real estate than a 13" screen.

Also, the 15" rMBP has a dedicated graphics processor, which helps if you are doing photo or video editing. The 13" model does not. Also, the memory (RAM) cannot be upgraded in the 13" model.

May 7, 2013 11:09 AM in response to arleena67

I recently bought my first Apple computer which is a MacBook PRO 15" but None Retina.

The reason I got the none Retina is the mechanical drive, CD drive and Ethernet Port availability.

I love the machine and the windows desk top and laptop both rarely get switched on, for backup I have the 2TB WD external drive, and backups are done using time machine.

In the next month or so I plan to replace the desktop with an iMac though undecided which.

I carry the MBP when out and about in a backpack and the long battery life means when away from the office for a day I don't need to lug the charger about.

So take the plunge and buy one, personally I would say the 15" I don't think you will regret it for one moment.

May 7, 2013 11:23 AM in response to MartinR

If it were me, I'd be looking at the 15" MacBookPro (not the Retina model) and upgrade it to the 750GB 7200rpm hard drive & 8GB RAM. It also comes with additional ports (ethernet, firewire) and a CD/DVD drive - which the Retina model does not have. Comes in about $150 less than the 15" Retina model, too. While the Retina screen is nice, personally I don't think it's a great tradeoff for what you lose compared to the regular MacBookPro.

Regarding weight, I have a 15" MacBookPro and have carried it all over the world. The weight has never bothered me as much as the weight of the paper I inevitably also carry along.

May 8, 2013 8:33 AM in response to arleena67

Thanks guys. I'm set on the 15" now and am now deciding on whether I should go with the standard MBP or the MBP with retina display? I'm not an advanced photographer, but I do like to take alot of photos especially when travelling and I do plan on creating slideshows with my photos synched with music. I don't think I'd be one to really be able to tell the difference between a retina vs. non-retina screen given that since I can't really tell the difference between a tv screen with vs. without HD. So for me, I don't think it'd be about the retina display at all. It is more about the storage capacity AND the fact that I hear with the retina/flash storage, that there are less apt to have problems down the road so a more sturdy a machine. Given I take alot of photos/will be creating slideshows wth my photos, and downloading/playing music, I'm thinking the standard MBP might be better storage-wise. But also given I plan on keeping this laptop for a long time (basically, until it breaks or becomes too slow to function productively), that makes me want to go the retina/flash storage route. SIGH.

Should I not be so concerned about the longevity of the machine, but rather opt for the one with more storage?

May 8, 2013 8:38 AM in response to arleena67

The standard has a mechanical hard drive, if it fails down the line you can relpace it, you can't easily and certainly not yourself with the SDD

The standard has an Ethernet port, handy if you go where there is an internet connection but not wi-fi

The standard has a CDROM drive, handy if you want to put a couple of images on a disc to send to somebody. Or somebody sends you something on CD.

To me it was a no brainer I went with the standard, the reproduction for pictures is excellent.

I went for the standard 15" MBP and have not regretted it for a second.

May 8, 2013 8:54 AM in response to arleena67

So, for what it's worth, here's my experience ...

I have a 2009 MacBookPro that came with a 320GB 5400rpm hard drive and 4GB RAM. It's still going strong 4 years later and showing no signs of age. I recently upgraded the drive to a 750GB 7200rpm drive and put the 320GB drive in an external enclosure and am still using it for storage. Also upgraded the RAM to 8GB.

I have never had a problem with the MacBookPro and currently use Aperture, Final Cut, Photoshop CS6 and Adobe CS6 Design Suite. All run absolutely fine, and I expect to use this MBP for quite a few more years.

I think SSDs are nice, but keep in mind they are still relatively new technologically, and are very expensive compared to a traditional hard drive.

May 9, 2013 12:39 PM in response to arleena67

Ok guys, you're helping me ALOT so thank you!!!!

So I've decided based on your feedback and online research, to go with the standard MBP with 2.7GHZ / 8GB SDRAM. I've decided not going the SSD route this time around. Now my dilemma is whether to go with the 750GB serial ATA drive with 7200 rpm OR the 1TB serial ATA drive with 5400rpm. Would I see a huge difference between a MBP with 7200 rpm vs. 5400rpm? Would that really matter? Considering my user specs / needs above, which one should I go with?

Also, which display should I go with - the Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display OR the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display?

So many choices just makes it SO difficult to make a decision!

May 9, 2013 12:54 PM in response to arleena67

Regarding the choice of drives ... it depends on what you will use your MacBookPro for. If you mostly work with office docs, web surf, play music or watch movies, either hard drive will be fine.

If you are planning to do significant photo, video or database work (using Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut, Adobe Creative Cloud, and similar apps) then I'd strongly recommend the 7200rpm drive.

May 9, 2013 1:07 PM in response to MartinR

Will primarily be using it for general stuff (basic MS Office, work on finances, web surf, download/play music), but will also use it for photos (some editing - not advanced) and creating slideshows with my photos/music - I can see myself doing alot of that with the Mac. I tend to take alot of photos (ex. I can take up to 500 per international trip of 3 weeks) so between photos/music, I can hog up the hard drive easily so that is why I'm having a hard time deciding. Based on that, what do you recommend - going with the 750GB with the faster speed OR the larger hard drive of 1TB / slower speed?

May 9, 2013 6:33 PM in response to arleena67

If you will be using any of the high-end apps I mentioned previously, then I'd go with the 7200rpm drive. If you are only using iPhoto and doing minimal photo editing, for example in iPhoto, then the 5400rpm drive should be fine. Video editing = editing video as opposed to still photos. Slideshows are still photos.

May 10, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the 1TB/5400rpm. I'm not an advanced photographer by any means so I will probably not even notice a difference between the two speeds not that I'll even have the option of comparing. I'm thinking ANY Apple computer will be FAST no matter what. Now I just have to decide on which screen to go with - glossy or anti-glare.

Should I get a 13" or 15" Macbook Pro with retina laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.