Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing a MS-DOS formated external drive between two iMacs with Mountain Lion

I have a USB external drive that needs to be MS-DOS formated.

I have plugged it to iMac1 and configured things so the drive is shared.

I do not see it on iMac2 😟

Both iMacs run the latest Moutain Lion.

When I reformat the external drive to MacOS format, there is no problem (external drive appears on iMac2).

When I reformat the external drive to exFAT format, there is no problem (external drive appears on iMac2).

But I need my drive to have MS-DOS (FAT) format, and...

When I reformat the external drive to MS-DOS (FAT) format, the external drive does NOT appear on iMac2... 😢

HELP!!!

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 7, 2013 10:08 AM

10 replies

May 7, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric.

The first reason is: I would like to do like I did before (before Mountain Lion, it was working fine).

The real reason is: we store our PSD files on this drive (Adobe Photoshop files).

We have great iMacs at work... and poor PCs at home...

So the drive is used in both environments.

Kurt.

I am only trying to share a folder that is on an external drive.

(actually I would like to share the whole external drive, but a folder on it would be ok).

That's all.

I don't feel like it's a "special" requirement!

I hope things are more clear now. Sorry about my poor English 😕

May 13, 2013 10:27 AM in response to jflc

Yes. I wanted to know if you could connect the two computers, which if you can screen share, you obviously can.

I don't use Photoshop, so I don't know the commands.

This is a bit of a workaround until someone can figure out a more direct method.

1. Since you can see the USB drive connected to iMac 1 when connected to iMac 1 from iMac 2, can you open Photoshop on iMac 2 and then use the Open/Import command, select iMac 1 in Finder or through screen share, then go to the USB drive, and access the file you are trying to get?

2. Alternative method would be to use screen share, select the file, and copy it to the desktop of iMac 2, then open the file. When finished with the file, you'd have to reverse the procedure to copy it back to the USB drive.

I tried this with iPhoto and it worked, but again it is a different program.

Sharing a MS-DOS formated external drive between two iMacs with Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.