Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why choose an audio interface over a mixer?

I know there are tons of question out there who are quite similar to mine, but yet none of 'em seem to be able to solve my question.

The main question I'm asking is: what's the difference between a mixer (either w/ or w/o built in audio interface) and an external audio interface?

But the answers to this exact question weren't sufficient because I ran into a practical problem, wich is as follows:

A friend of mine uses his Behringer XenyX 802 mixer as a way to input the signals his mic's send into GarageBand/Logic (kind of DAW is irrelevant). Now i've been wanting to set up my own little home studio myself and basically every tutorial/video out there says: "in order to record multiple instruments into your Mac, you need an audio interface." Now I don't get exactly why, because i've seen someone do it with a mixer. I assume that the mixer in question has a built in audio interface (since it has, amongst other features, phantom power), so it's not neccesary to have an audio interface, or is it?

Then I started searching the web for different audio-interfaces because I thought: "well they must know what they're talking about. So I guess I have to start looking for an interface." I found that a lot of interfaces <€100 have only 2 inputs, mostly an XLR input and a Jack/instrument input. One of the most popular beign the Avid Fast Track MK II USB interface. I happen to know that the Xenyx 802 has 2 XLR inputs AND 2 jack inputs and I can get my hands on one (2nd handed version) for about half the price of the Fast Track. I thought to myself: "why? Why do all those 'experts' who explain it in video's tell me to specifically get an interface?" this is because I found that the more input channels you want from an interface, the higher the price.

Can anyone help me explain why the Fast Trak MK II is twice as expensive as the Xenyx 802 while it offers half the amount of inputs?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:10 PM

11 replies

Apr 6, 2017 5:58 AM in response to Cyclone13

For me too, it is very unclear whether the mixers are useable as an audio interface - can it record a source to the DAW (one is enough for the home recorder), while playing back the mix off the DAW? I think it should be possible, but most documentation is quite fuzzy on this subject.

Some more expensive mixers provide recording of separate tracks at once. (Soundcraft Signature MTK series)

Furthermore, I found that for most mixers the sample rate and bit depth is only 16 bit /44.1kHz (cd quality).

Most people prefer more headroom for mixing: 24 bit and 96kHz or even 192kHz - given by most audio interfaces.

The Yamaha MGXU series have these sample rates. Unfortunately the Mackie ProFX don't.

Behringers do 44.1kHz/16bit. The Soundcraft records 48kHz/24bit.

May 7, 2013 3:02 PM in response to Cyclone13

There's two basic explanations..

A true mixer is often stand alone, and can be used to mix several sources into a stereo output, usually with a separate send/mic for monitors. Some mixers now have an audio interface built in, however, and this is a biggie... they still only output a stereo mix to the DAW. While you may have 4, 6 or 8 inputs you can still only record a stereo pair. The outputs to the DAW are not discrete. Let's say you have one of the Behringer 6 or 8 input mixers and you want to record acoustic guitar, bass, percussion and flute. You can only record a stereo output into the DAW so you would have to Mix all the instruments with the Behringer faders and hope it's right, you cannot record each instrument on it's own separate track at the same time. You could record bass and guitar, and then add the other instruments.

A decent semi-pro or professional audio interface offers discrete audio channels so that several tracks can be recorded at once

The Behringer is an audio interface with a mixer front end, the Fast Track is similar and has some of the same mixer function but in software. For instance, here's the software mixer for an old MAudio Auidiophile 24/96.

User uploaded file

The M-Audio probably has better hardware than the Behringer although I don't know that for sure. Be aware the interfaces/mixers in the lower price ranges are not considered semi-pro. Check and make sure whatever you decide is compatible with the operating system you plan on using.

May 8, 2013 1:33 AM in response to Pancenter

Thank you for your response, it helped quite a lot. Just to make sure if I understand correctly:

You can only record 2 instruments simultaneously at max using a mixer (on their own track, because I have seen it done before), but you would be able to record, say, 6 mic's at the same time if you had the proper interface (an interface with at least 6 inputs and outputs that is). Now the M-Audio has only two inputs I believe, and therefor I take it has a stereo output as well, so the maximum simultaneous recording for the fast track is 2, just as that of the Behringer?

May 8, 2013 2:20 AM in response to Cyclone13

Cyclone13 wrote:

Thank you for your response, it helped quite a lot. Just to make sure if I understand correctly:

You can only record 2 instruments simultaneously at max using a mixer (on their own track, because I have seen it done before), but you would be able to record, say, 6 mic's at the same time if you had the proper interface (an interface with at least 6 inputs and outputs that is). Now the M-Audio has only two inputs I believe, and therefor I take it has a stereo output as well, so the maximum simultaneous recording for the fast track is 2, just as that of the Behringer?

Regarding the Mixer... The Behringer you posted is just a standard Mixer, it doesn't have USB output, in which case you have to use the Mac's audio system (the Line-Input) and run a cable from the Mixer's main or monitor outs into the Mac's Line input. Computers use inexpensive audio chips that do not provide the greatest sound.

I thought you were talking about this Behringer:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Xenyx-Q802USB-Audio-Mixer/dp/B008O517IC

It is a mixer and an audio interface rolled intro one.

The M-Audio is a true separate Audio Interface that provides it's own Inputs and Outputs, (Like the USB Behringer).

Regardless, all three, the Behringer stand alone mixer that uses the mac's audio, The Behringer with the built-in stereo USB audio interface and the M-Audio with USB interface are all stereo units. The USB audio interface will only show two inputs and a stereo out. The most you can record separately on either is 2 instruments.

Here is one step up:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/audio-express

The MOTU unit has 4 analog inputs as well as a stereo digital input.

The next step is an interface like this with 8 Mic inputs. It would show up in Logic as 4 stereo pairs or 8 individual inputs. You could use 4 mics on a set of drums, 1 for guitar, bass direct, stereo input for keys and record everyone playing at the same time on 8 separate audio tracks giving you full control (in Logic) of the final mix. http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre

May 8, 2013 3:56 AM in response to Cyclone13

Question 2, yes.. both the M-Audio and Behringer USB interfaces are stereo only.

Question 1, yes, the MOTU's main outs are stereo, as is it's headphone output.

You would use the stereo main outs to your studio monitors.

The MOTU unit will present all of it's input/output options to Logic. The MOTU unit uses a custom driver programmed specifically for the unit. Logic (or any DAW) would "see" and be able to select all available inputs and outputs.

At this point you need to go to a music store and get some hands on experience with one of the units, you could also download some audio interface manuals, many of them have basic courses (like I've been explaining) as part of the setup instructions.

May 8, 2013 5:30 AM in response to Pancenter

So, if M-Audio, Behringer and MOTU all have a stereo output, than what does that mean in terms of ability to record multiple tracks? I'm confused as what a stereo output really means. In my case, I'd like to hook up a mic and guitar to Logic and record multiple instruments on their own track. So two instruments on 2 tracks. In my case, why should I buy an interface instead of the mixer? Or will problems start to occur when I want to add a third mic? I'm sorry it takes so long.

May 8, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Cyclone13

All of the units we've discussed have hardware inputs and outputs, and they also have a USB audio interface that presents these inputs and outputs to the computer. However, the inexpensive M-Audio and Behringer units only have a stereo USB audio interface so no matter how many hardware inputs the unit has, it can never send more than a stereo signal to the computer.

The MOTU units present multiple inputs and outputs to the computer.

You can record several independent tracks at the same time, in the case of the MOTU 8 Pre you could plug 8 Microphones into it and have a separate audio track for each mic. The computer sees all 8 Mic inputs.

With the M-Audio and Behringer the computer will only see two inputs.

There's also the fact that regardless of Input/Outputs... the MOTU devices will sound considerably better than the cheap units.

That's all there is really. You get what you pay for, just decide what you need.

May 8, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks, I have a pretty clear idea about what it all means. I get the idea that a mixer sends an already mixed signal to your computer, therefore really different from the signal/sound your instrument/mic sends out, and an interface inserts it more directly. I think i'm gonna go for an interface. Since the MOTU really seems quite attractive, for now it's a little to far outside my budget. I don't like the M-Audio because it seems to simple and restricted, I'm gonna go for a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface to go with my Rode M3 condenser.

Thank you for your help! Praise the power of the Internet once again.

Why choose an audio interface over a mixer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.