Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 trouble with charging, please help?

Haven't had my iPhone for long (around November for my birthday) and for about the last couple of weeks recently I have had major trouble with the battery charge.
At first I thought it was the cables, so I got new one after new one and they'd work but then stop working. Until the last one I just purchased, it pretty much stopped charging the phone straight away. No lightening or sound response, no connection via computer etc. So, when my charge ran out I still had it plugged into my computer and now my phone only chargers when it's off when it's plugged into a USB port (bear in mind, it doesn't connect to iTunes-it says USB is unrecognized although it still chargers the phone when off). However, it charges fairly quickly when off but when in use the charge diminishes just as quick as it takes to charge. Not only that but now whenever I wish to turn my iPhone off, it turns itself back on.

I have recently sent off my phone to the Apple store to have it checked over and it came back to me saying they couldn't reproduce the symptons I had mentioned so there was me thinking everything was fine but nope, still faulty. So a bit disappointed with paying £7.00 for delivery to have nothing been done about it (not only that, but the phone as also out of charge when returned so it just seemed like my phone wasn't looked over one bit). Also a bit disappointed and annoyed at the fact I'm still paying for my monthly contract for the phone when I am unable to use it!!!
I haven't damaged the phone (it basically looks brand new) and haven't exposed it to any liquids. The USB port on my phone where I charge it seems clear too.

The annoyance of having to send it back to Apple costing me more money is offputting so does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm going to my local 3 store to see if they can help me out but I'm just a bit fed up now. Can see this is a popular problem amongst other iPhone users too.

Many thanks!

(Oh and need to add I HAVE updated everything on my phone, restored everything, restarted etc.)

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Phone charger faulty

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 12:41 PM

Welcome to iOS 6.1.4. The battery-eater iOS.

4 replies

May 13, 2013 7:26 AM in response to abigailhill18

I have the same problem with my phone (5 ios 6.1.4), have called apple repeatedly... they say it's a software issue and want 50-100$ for software to fix (depending on who I talk to). They are saying that the phone is "hung up" but everything else on the phone works fine... Also this seems to be a pretty common problem. I have only had the phone since January so I'm going to take it back to the store where I bought it, and hopefully they can do something. Just wondering if there have been any new developments on this issue?

May 13, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Jenns7

Yeah I went to the 3 store and they said that it costs if they find it's a software issue (which I believe isn't fair). However, after sending mine off and having it back exactly the same I headed off to the 3 store and asked to see what they could do for me. Of course, they can't touch Apple phones so they kindly phoned Apple again for me to only say that Apple have NO record of me even sending my phone off even though I have written and e-mail proof. They then said that they replaced my phone in which they didn't. So I spoke to the senior supervisor who said for me to send it off again (yawn) but to be replaced and if it doesn't then I have to e-mail her directly. It's such an annoying issue because I'm still paying for my phone when I can't even use it.

My advice is, definitely go to the store. Even-though they can't actually replace it there and then or send it off themselves to be repaired but they (should) phone up Apple and help you further. Apple shouldn't be asking you for such an upfront cost without even looking at your phone as it could be another issue.

That's me up to date. Sending it off tomorrow, hopefully receive a replaced working phone now. 😐

Iphone 5 trouble with charging, please help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.