Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod shuffle 4th useless. itunes does not recognize Red light only blinks for 3 seconds.

my ipod shuffle 4th useless. itunes does not recognize Red light only blinks for 3 seconds.

iPod shuffle

Posted on May 7, 2013 1:35 PM

4 replies

May 8, 2013 12:52 AM in response to Jesus_Dcc

Since it worked before, assuming there have been no drastic changes to your system, I think you can rule out a software problem on the computer.

Since you tried more than one cable, I think you can rule out a bad cable. NOTE: The cable needs to be one that is for the 3rd or 4th gen shuffle, not a third-party cable for the 2nd gen shuffle (connector is different).

That leaves a problem with the computer's USB port or a hardware problem on the shuffle. For the USB port, power off (shut down) the computer and disconnect all USB devices. Start up with only standard keyboard and mouse connected (if normally used). Do this to Reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1655

Run iTunes. Connect shuffle to a direct USB port. If it still has the same problem, try connecting something else to that port, preferably something similar, like a USB flash drive. If you have another Apple device, that would be ideal to test the port. Make sure the port is working properly, to rule it out.

If you rule out the USB port, the only remaining cause is a hardware problem on the shuffle.

Apr 21, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Jesus_Dcc

here's how I solved the 5-second-light-no-charge issue.

You will need some patience though.

Plug your 4th Gen Shuffle into a high-power USB port (preferable the stock wall charger). Wait until the red light goes on and than off. Unplug. Repeat continuously until the light doesn't go off, which means the Shuffle starts charging. It took me about 15 minutes, however it may take longer depending on how low the battery charge is.

Here's a little technical background behind this process. When the device is not being used for a while, especially if it is not charged, the battery voltage falls below a certain threshold becoming insufficient to start the microprocessor any more. However, the processor is necessary to start the charging process, and the device gets into the deadlock. Basically, when you plug it in, it's being charged for only 5 seconds while the red light is on. When you constantly plug it in and out you manually charge the battery in 5-second increments until it's voltage is high enough to start the processor.

I advise to unplug the USB from the charger, not the charger from the socket.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.