Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

type "purge" in Terminal and get: -bash: purge: command not found Is there another built-in command to clear memory leaks? want to clear memory periodically

I have 10.6.8. When I type "purge" in Terminal I get: -bash: purge: command not found Is there another built-in command to clear memory leaks? I have FreeMemory (works well) and considering FreeMemory Pro, to clear memory periodically, say every 20 minutes, or preferably when a threshold is reached, say when only 100MB is available.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Machine Xserve 1.1

Posted on May 7, 2013 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 3:08 PM

To get purge to work you need to install Xcode from Optional Installs on the 10.6 install DVD. Also be sure you install CHUD Tools with it.

But running purge or anything like it is pointless if within a short period of time the VM just grows back again. Sounds like you need more RAM.

Where are the memory leaks? Just because the VM reaches a certain size doesn't necessarily mean it's from a memory leak.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 3:08 PM in response to thauck76

To get purge to work you need to install Xcode from Optional Installs on the 10.6 install DVD. Also be sure you install CHUD Tools with it.

But running purge or anything like it is pointless if within a short period of time the VM just grows back again. Sounds like you need more RAM.

Where are the memory leaks? Just because the VM reaches a certain size doesn't necessarily mean it's from a memory leak.

type "purge" in Terminal and get: -bash: purge: command not found Is there another built-in command to clear memory leaks? want to clear memory periodically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.