Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer thinks it's in clamshell mode, how do i take it out of that?

i plugged in an external monitor today. my computer immediately identified it, but now the monitor on my laptop is just blue. I'd like to use both but I can't figure out how to take it out of "clamshell" mode.

please help

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:22 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2013 11:19 AM in response to ajester1

Hello, ajester1!

A few things that you can try to get the internal display working again are outlined in the following article:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573

I'd recommend skipping to step 3 and continuing there:

1. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  2. If more than one video adapter is in use—or "daisy-chained"—troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

3. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Reset the system
You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.Reset the resolutionStart by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displaysfrom the View menu to open the preferences pane.
  4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
  5. Restart your computer.

Best regards,

Allen

my computer thinks it's in clamshell mode, how do i take it out of that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.