Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion to Snow Leopard MBP 13 Early 2011

GDay guys,

ive bought an used mbp 13 early 2011 and on the recovery hdd is only osx 10.7.5 but ive seen on the apple site that the mbp 13 early 2011 was deliveried with osx 10.6.

is it possible to downgrade or reinstall to snow leopard?

can i download snow leopard anywhere for free or do i have to buy it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:33 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2013 4:37 PM in response to Kujamasaru

Depends on what version of Snow Leopard came with the computer. Snow Leopard is only available as 10.6.3 on the retail discs. Newer models cannot boot from that version. You would need the original discs which you can purchase from Apple Customer Service.

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.

For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

There is no "downgrading." You will have to erase the drive and install Snow Leopard from scratch or create a separate, new partition on the drive on which to install Snow Leopard.

May 7, 2013 4:37 PM in response to Kujamasaru

Snow Leopard is not available free, it must be purchased. The Early 2011 MBPs came with either Lion or Snow Leopard installed depending on the date of manufacture. You cannot buy the SL install disks for that machine as it requires a special version...talk to Apple support, tey 1-800-MY-APPLE for a set if your serial number is appropriate. If it was a used MBP that originally had SL then the seller should have provided the install disk.

Lion to Snow Leopard MBP 13 Early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.