Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IDVD not completing burn process

Let me start with saying, I've burned about a hand full of DVD's with IDVD no problem, ehem, non-consecutively so my burner isn't shot. So to get on with it, I was finally able to burn my DVD through disk utility but I STILL cannot get IDVD to work correctly, the DVD will kick out just before burn. I assume it's not the burner itself since I was able to burn through disk utility. My project is 6.45gb and I'm using a dual layer DVD (memorex) so there is plenty of space, yet it still kicks out... I've already used a cleaning cd/dvd as well, is something wrong with IDVD? Help? (I still have Warranty if I need to take my poor laptop in to apple)

Thank so much!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:11 PM

8 replies

May 7, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Emerald14

How long is the playing time of the project? If it's less than 120 minutes including menus you don't need a DL disk. Just a single layer disk set to Professional Quality.

Also the Memorex brand may be part of the problem. It's not regarded as a quality disk. A better choice would be Verbatim.

the DVD will kick out just before burn

Do you get any message for error indications when it kicks out?

Also follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good and you can continue with the burn.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

May 7, 2013 5:20 PM in response to Emerald14

It's 117 minutes but it rejects the 120min DVD saying it does not have enough space, also, I burn everything on Best Performance. I have used Memorex for all my DVDs and have never had a problem before until now. I do not get error messages, it just kicks out the DVD and the processes either continues and reads "multiplexing and burning" or it will say "done" and just 'idle', so to speak, saying it has less than a minute. When I check the DVD it has the files on there and the DVD and I can open the files in VLC but it's not a DVD. And, it's tempermental too when inserted back in the drive, sometimes it pulls up, other times I get the finder window saying i've inserted a blank DVD and how do I want to open it. 😕

May 7, 2013 7:26 PM in response to Emerald14

How much menu playing time is there in the project? Best Performance is the lowest quality encoding choice.

Here is a post by one of the top gurus of iDVD about DVD quality and info on brand quality:

DVD quality: Apple Support Communities

Blank DVD Media Quality Review – The Digital FAQ – Media Guides & Services

Minimize any playing time in the menus, use Pro Quaility and try to put all on a SL disk, preferrably Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R. Burn at 2-4x max.

May 7, 2013 11:14 PM in response to Emerald14

Hi

What Menu theme did You select to use ?

Menu can take 15 minutes (or even more) from the total of 120 minutes - leaving 105 minutes or less if Pro Quality or High Quality encoding is used.

If Best Quality (max 60 minutes) only a mere 45 minutes are left over for Your movie.

I only use

• Pro Quality

• Brushed Metal (from old themes - only takes away about 1 minute)

Yours Bengt W

May 12, 2013 11:03 AM in response to Old Toad

Same problem all of a sudden, kicks out disks before the burn, did the work around, but why do I have to do this now? The reason I use Macs is so I don't have to dick around with everything, it would just work right. If I wanted to waste time working around everything wouldn't I just get a PC? I like my Macs but when they start doing things like not supportting a system that has ten more years of use in it, it gets on my nerves. When is enough enough? I just need to burn this project on Autism to a DVD, it should not be that difficult!

Even with the work around I get an error, its a 20 minute project.

May 12, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Kurt Nelson1

So I found that the issue was that I did not have enough space on my drive to burn. Apparently you have to have 25+gb to burn a DVD and I was sitting at about 24.44. Try clearing out your download folder, which is what I did, and that should give you the space needed. When you go under the project info to choose which encoding process or which type of disc, look at the bottom and see how much GB is available. If it is less than 25 it wont burn and it'll kick just before the burn process. Good luck!

Jun 4, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Emerald14

Two things helped me on this issue. While burning 60 DVDs for the graduating class, the DVDs started to pop out with a minute left, and nothing burned.

First - Due to what I thought was a possible heat buildup on my MacBook Pro laptop, I elevated it off of the desk surface a few inches. Then turned on a small cooling fan I had positioned to blow right under the laptop. It worked! Finished burning all of my DVDs with no problem. DH told me that Steve J did not believe in fan units in computers and I think there is a tendency to overheat.

Second - I think I was switching DVD media. Once I started using only DVD-R, there were no problems.

Hope this helps someone.

IDVD not completing burn process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.