Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Picture In Picture question.

Hi, I'm new to iMovie and I am having an issue with Picture In Picture. I don't even know if I am using the right feature. Anyway, from my desktop, I am dragging a picture into my project and selecting Picture In Picture (I already have advanced mode on) and so far I am having an issue. When I try to crop/fit it, it is keeping to its aspect ratio, which is not right. I need a non cropped, non boxed image on my footage and no matter how much I explore the program or Google it, I can't find how to do it. Any help is appreciated!

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 7, 2013 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2013 10:43 PM

Monkeyknucklexx wrote:

… it is keeping to its aspect ratio, which is not right. …

it is, PiP has always the aspect ratio of your project (most probably 16:9)

to add non-standard ratio, you have to 'prep' your pic, in this thread is explained how:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5001820?answerId=21897581022#21897581022

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2013 10:43 PM in response to Monkeyknucklexx

Monkeyknucklexx wrote:

… it is keeping to its aspect ratio, which is not right. …

it is, PiP has always the aspect ratio of your project (most probably 16:9)

to add non-standard ratio, you have to 'prep' your pic, in this thread is explained how:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5001820?answerId=21897581022#21897581022

May 8, 2013 5:41 AM in response to Monkeyknucklexx

YOu say you are not sure if you are using the right feature.

Use PIP if you want a small picture or video to be superimposed over your video while the video keeps running underneath.

Use CUTAWAY if you want the underlying video clip's audio to keep playing underneath while you substitute a different photo or video clip on top in full screen.

If you just want to add a photo to your project, just drag the photo in from the photo browser.

Picture In Picture question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.