Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari automatically opens homepage and router settings when connecting to Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have a problem with Safari for my Macbook Air. When I connect my laptop to the internet via Wi-Fi, It opens my Safari automatically and opens 2 tabs. the first tab is my Homepage, which is fine, but the second tab opens my router settings.

When my macbook goes to sleep and wakes, it opens a new tab pointing to the router settings. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, my macbook air has 9 tabs with the router settings open.

How can i:

1. Stop my Safari from opening automatically when connecting to the Wi-Fi

and 2. stop Safari from opening the router settings tab automatically.

I tried looking around in google but I couldn't find anyone with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 8, 2013 2:22 AM

9 replies

May 8, 2013 6:23 AM in response to ruffstuff

• For Safari:

Go to Safari / Preferences / General.

Click on the third line where it says Safari opens with: and select "A new window".

• The applications that open when you log on are listed in:

Apple Menu / System Preferences / Users & Groups / Login Items ( you have to authenticate with your password)

Select the apps you do not want opening on startup, and click the - sign.

May 8, 2013 3:31 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Hi,

I've tried both of these, but it still doesn't work

When doing "Apple Menu / System Preferences / Users & Groups / Login Items ( you have to authenticate with your password)", I checked and there are no login items in my list.

By doing "Go to Safari / Preferences / General, Click on the third line where it says Safari opens with: and select "A new window"., Instead of Safari automatically opening 2 tabs, It automatically opens 2 windows.

My fear is that it may be something with the pocket wifi from Vodafone I bought that made this problem.

Is there a way to re-install Safari instead? It may be the only solution I have left.

Else, I'll just bring it to the local apple store.

Sep 21, 2015 2:31 PM in response to ruffstuff

Pretty easy. Go to your /Applications folder nad/or your Applications/Utilities and look for the Vodafone folder. There should be an application called Unistall. If you don't have it, most likely you can copy that from your router's disk, or download it from the internet. Launch that app and authenticate. Turn off your wi-fi connection. Turn on your wi-fi connection. Done. Safari will never be invoked. I have just done it. Finally. 🙂

Safari automatically opens homepage and router settings when connecting to Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.