Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does OS X Mountain Lion have a built-in virtual memory limit (and how can I get rid of it)?

Does OS X Mountain Lion have a built-in virtual memory limit? I have a MacbookPro with 16GB RAM and 400GB free HD space, running latest Mountain Lion.

I am trying to load a very large (~100GB) dataset into STATA (statistical analysis software) but keep getting the message "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory".

When this error occurs, my HD has ~340GB free, suggesting virtual memory has taken up 60GB of drive space. Yet there is still another 340GB of space available, so I cannot understand why VM is not making use of the free HD space.

Does VM max out at e.g. 60GB, or perhaps at a certain multiple of installed RAM? Is there anything I can do about these limits?

Any insight into the nature of the problem -- or, better still, a solution -- would be very appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 8, 2013 3:46 AM

18 replies

May 8, 2013 4:00 AM in response to quaem

Mountain Lion has three memory management features:

1. Protected memory

2. Dynamic memory allocation

3. Secure memory allocation

Secure memory allocation is used to protect the system from malicious processes. But you are asking about the second, dynamci memory allocation.

The operating system automatically manages system memory for processes at their request. Though real memory is limited by hardware, the system dynamically allocates both real and virtual memory when needed. The only memory limitations in OS X are the size of installed RAM and the amount of free space you have available on your system volume.

The question then, becomes are you sure about the amount of free space you believe to be available? The ML dynamic memory management process should be using all free space on the mass storage, irrespective of the amount of RAM, that is, it is not a function or multiple of installed RAM.

After loading STATA, check the actual free space you have by going to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor and check out the storage to see what the system says is available.

May 8, 2013 6:19 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph, thanks very much for your quick reply. I did think of this possibility -- i.e. that I may not have as much HD space free as the system is telling me. On basis of this hunch, I stripped my HD so that I now have 400GB free. The fact the problem has recurred makes me fairly certain this is not the problem.

I just retried loading the file -- when I got the "no more space available" message, Activity Monitor tells me the following:

Disk Usage tab: Space free: 342.01GB.

System Memory tab: STATA: Real memory 9.94GB, Virtual memory 68.83GB.

It seems quite clear to me that OS X is not using all the HD space available but instead is maxing out due to some other constraint.

Note also, STATA and the dataset are located on the startup disk -- I have only one HD partition and no external HDs connected.

Can anyone shed light on the source of this problem? Thanks in advance.

May 8, 2013 7:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

I take this statment from the link I posted

Note: Unlike most UNIX-based operating systems, OS X does not use a preallocated disk partition for the backing store. Instead, it uses all of the available space on the machine’s boot partition.

to basically mean it's limited only by the disk space.

There is also this:

Both OS X and iOS include a fully-integrated virtual memory system that you cannot turn off; it is always on. Both systems also provide up to 4 gigabytes of addressable space per 32-bit process. In addition, OS X provides approximately 18 exabytes of addressable space for 64-bit processes. Even for computers that have 4 or more gigabytes of RAM available, the system rarely dedicates this much RAM to a single process.

To give processes access to their entire 4 gigabyte or 18 exabyte address space, OS X uses the hard disk to hold data that is not currently in use. As memory gets full, sections of memory that are not being used are written to disk to make room for data that is needed now. The portion of the disk that stores the unused data is known as the backing store because it provides the backup storage for main memory.

May 8, 2013 7:49 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

The article is not completely up to date. Before 10.8, I believe it was possible to fill up the boot volume with swap files, but that's no longer the case. That's why people now get messages about "no more space for application memory" when the volume still has plenty of free space. The change in the kernel isn't documented anywhere that I know of, so you'd have to dredge through the source code to find it.

May 8, 2013 8:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc -- Thank you very much for your posts, which confirm what I have come to suspect -- namely that there is an undocumented limitation on virtual memory size in Mountain Lion. This is very frustrating, as I purchased a top of the line MacBook Pro mainly to analyse this large data set.

What I really want to know is -- what can I do about this VM limit? Is there a way to modify or remove this limitation so that VM can expand to a size greater than the default? (And if you don't know how to do this, can you refer me to someone who does know how to modify this aspect of system functioning?) Alternatively, if modifying this aspect of system behaviour is not possible, could I solve the problem by downgrading to Lion?

(By the way, I'm not sure why you talked about disabling memory paging in your initial post. I know this is frequently requested on internet discussion boards, but that is not what I want to do. I have a 100GB data set and only 16GB of RAM, so clearly I need to make use of virtual memory. The problem is that VM in Mountain Lion appears to have a limitation that prevents it from expanding to the size I need.)

------

Frank -- I am using STATA 12 which has no memory limit. The problem is clearly not with STATA but with the Mac OS.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

May 8, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, yes, STATA loads the whole dataset into memory. However, this feature is only a "problem" given Mountain Lion's undocumented limitation on VM size, which is the topic of this thread.

Of course, analysing a dataset stored in VM will be slow, but then so will be the alternative, which is to use an alternative statistical analysis package (e.g. SAS) which allows you to analyse datasets that aren't loaded in RAM. Since STATA is much more powerful than these alternatives, my strong preference is to stick with STATA -- which would require a workaround to this VM size limitation issue.

Can I take it from your reply that you don't know how to modify this VM size limitation in Mountain Lion, or alternatively that you think/know it isn't possible?

Thanks for your assistance in helping me to understand this aspect of Mountain Lion. I don't believe it has been documented elsewhere on the internet, so your knowledge is very helpful.

May 8, 2013 10:39 AM in response to quaem

quaem wrote:

this feature is only a "problem" given Mountain Lion's undocumented limitation on VM size, which is the topic of this thread.

You have not proven any undocumented limitation on VM size. It is probably just a bug in STATA. Virtual memory is not a straightforward concept. it is the OS fighting with applications. Neither side is playing fair. Applications will typically ask for much more memory than they really need. In response, operating systems typically lie to them and only give them what they really use. It's a delicate dance and you've brought a rhinoceros to the ball.

People seem to use STATA because it is cheap and must faster because it works entirely in memory. If you are relying on VM, you've lost on point 2 anyway. Just use a different program designed to handle such large datasets.

May 8, 2013 10:47 AM in response to quaem

Can I take it from your reply that you don't know how to modify this VM size limitation

Yes. I don't believe it's possible. There is certainly no documented way to change it that I know of.

In my opinion, the STATA developers are shirking their responsibility for memory management, which is their job, not the kernel's. They're dumping everything into memory and relying on the kernel to do the rest. Not only does that strategy result in poor performance, it sometimes results in complete failure, as you've discovered. What they could, and should, do is memory-map the data files and move pages in and out of memory efficiently.

The only thing you can do under the circumstances is to run the application on a Mac Pro with a ridiculous amount of RAM. I believe the current model can use up to 128 GB.

May 8, 2013 11:26 AM in response to quaem

Not being familiar with the STATA application, I am by no means an expert on your particular scenario. That being said, it would not be the first time an advanced Unix application ran into memory problems on Mac OS X. Both IBM's Informix and Postgresql had similar issues in Mac OS X. You can adjust some shared kernel memory settings by following the instructions here:

http://www.spy-hill.com/myers/help/apple/SharedMemory.html

http://benscheirman.com/2011/04/increasing-shared-memory-for-postgres-on-os-x/

kern.sysv.shmmax must be set to EXACT multiples of 4096 or the setting may be ignored by OS X.

More info here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/kernel-resources.html

It's most likely the Shared Memory setting in the kernel as it's not set to a value conducive to servers but simpler workstations. You are dealing with a heck of a lot of data in STATA. Now the developers of STATA may not have provided you with an accurate error message to fully describe the problem. The error you see indicates you are out of application disk storage space which is simply not the case. The real problem could be it ran out of shared memory which is entirely possible with the conservative settings that Mac OS X employs.

Shared memory doesn't have anything to do with virtual memory but very well may be the root cause of your problem.

May 8, 2013 11:34 AM in response to quaem

You are certain that you have the 64 bit version? Seems 12 comes in both flavors (32 and 64).

Love this bit from the FAQ

RAM

The most important consideration when buying a computer on which to run Stata is the amount of RAM (memory) you will need. You need at least 512 MB of RAM for Stata to run smoothly. Stata loads all of your data into RAM to perform its calculations. You must have enough physical RAM to load Stata and allocate enough memory to it to load and analyze your datasets.

Stata will be drastically slowed if the operating system has to use virtual memory to load your data or perform its calculations. One of the issues you have to consider when deciding how much RAM to purchase is the size of the datasets you will be working with. We recommend that your computer contain 50% more memory than the size of your largest dataset. Stata needs the extra room in memory to perform calculations, create temporary variables, etc., once the data have been loaded.

One last thing. This would seem to be something the Stata developers would like to here about. Hard to believe they are not aware of the situatuin if there was this big a change (and I emphasis if) in ML VM.

Does OS X Mountain Lion have a built-in virtual memory limit (and how can I get rid of it)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.