Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rsync version 3.0.9 - SMB versus AFP for metadata integrity

I have installed Rsync version 3.0.9 plus patches on my server and clients. AFP performance over the network using Rsync is sluggish using 10% of the available bandwidth where SMB is using 100%. Are there any issues using Rsync over SMB compared to AFP regarding the integrity of the file system? It is a simpler fix to mount a volume and transfer using SMB than work out why AFP performance is so poor. Are there any issues such as files missing metadata or resource forks incorrectly handled?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 8, 2013 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2013 7:53 AM

"Carbon Copy Cloner" uses rsync, and includes a fully Mac OS X patched version inside the .app directory tree.

CCC is a highly respected disk cloning utility.

Based on that reputation, I would say if you get the CCC version of rsync, it will maintain Mac file integrety. However, if you are concerned, you should verify any manually implemented rsync for yourself.

NOTE: CCC can do networked backups. I backup a subset of my Macbook Pro via CCC to my iMac over a local LAN connection. Just finished one a few minutes ago.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2013 7:53 AM in response to MacUserXI

"Carbon Copy Cloner" uses rsync, and includes a fully Mac OS X patched version inside the .app directory tree.

CCC is a highly respected disk cloning utility.

Based on that reputation, I would say if you get the CCC version of rsync, it will maintain Mac file integrety. However, if you are concerned, you should verify any manually implemented rsync for yourself.

NOTE: CCC can do networked backups. I backup a subset of my Macbook Pro via CCC to my iMac over a local LAN connection. Just finished one a few minutes ago.

May 8, 2013 11:08 AM in response to BobHarris

I am using the rsync application to synchronise user data on login across the network. Purchasing CCC for each mac is not an option, there are 300. Also the system is already in place, I am just tweaking it for better performance. My question simply relates to whether there are obvious issues expecting files to remain intact after rsyncing over mounted ambient network shares.

May 8, 2013 11:13 AM in response to MacUserXI

I think you misunderstood. Bob was saying that CCC uses rsync 3, so if there were any problems with rsync it would be all over the web. Since CCC works fine, your implementation should work fine as well.

As for the sluggishness... is there anything else going on, such as spotlight indexing? what you want to look for is something that the system will do over afp that it won't do over smb (or vice-versa). It would help if you could post your rsync code.

May 8, 2013 11:35 AM in response to MacUserXI

What twtwtw said. If rsync is good enough for Carbon Copy Cloner (a well respected backup utility), then rsync, properly patched, should be good enough for you.

You could always go to the Carbon Copy Cloner web site and see if there are any issues in their forums about rsync. <http://help.bombich.com/>

My understanding is that the CCC author (a former Apple employee) is active in maintaining rsync for Mac OS X use.

A suggestion:

Get 1 copy of CCC and see how CCC configures the rsync command line (start a long CCC transfer, then use the Terminal 'ps ax | grep rsync' command to see how the CCC rsync command line options).

My bottom line is that CCC has years of experience using rsync as a backup tool for Mac OS X. At least try to learn from what they have learned. Getting everything right with an rsync command line can be trickie (I do use rsync at lot at work on Unix systems, and it is never easy to get it correct).

May 8, 2013 11:43 AM in response to BobHarris

Sorry I missunderstood. I will check the commandline out. to be honest just knowing that CCC uses rsync across SMB happily gives me enough confidence to consider using SMB instead of AFP. I still have more testing to do to find out what is causing the poor performance during file transfers but its inconsistant. Thanks for your help though. Very constructive.

Rsync version 3.0.9 - SMB versus AFP for metadata integrity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.