Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to choose which specs to get with 15 inch rMBP

I want to make the transition from a PC to my first mac and looking at the 15 inch rMBP. I just dont know which specs to consider upgrading or if the base model is the right one for me. I need a new computer for school and I am a general use computer user: school documents/presentations, online research (multiple open tabs), and a normal amount of video streaming. I think my use falls into the base model range, but I just dont want to get stuck with not enough. Is there a decent way to help decide?

Thanks

Posted on May 8, 2013 3:08 PM

3 replies

May 8, 2013 3:36 PM in response to danatcheson

The CPU/GPU will be more than adequate unless your academics requires very fast processors which is doubtful. That is likewise with RAM. The question is storage or the size of the SSD. What do you use now with your PC. Let that be your guide. There is no fundamental difference in capacity. Assuming that your PC has a conventional HDD, the SSD will be faster but will hold the same amount of data as a HDD. 256 + 256. If 256 GB storage has been satisfactory, then there is no reason to spend the extra money.

You may know that the CPU and RAM cannot be upgraded in a retina MBP. The speed demons will urge you to spend the extra money for these to be upgraded. If the bank account allows you to do so, fine. If not, ask yourself how often will a 10% increase in processing time be important to my computer activities. Or put another way, can one wait 60 seconds vs 54 seconds and save $100. You decide.

Ciao.

May 8, 2013 4:05 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I am currently running about a 5 y/o Dell studio. It has done everything I needed so far. I need to uprgrade bcs the school I will be attending has software that my computer wont support it (I dont know what that means bcs im not computer literate). Over time my machine has been slowing and "not responding" might be a once a day occurence when multiple tabs are open and streaming video. current machine specs are:

• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.2GHz
  • 4GB DDR2 RAM
  • 320GB Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I dont know how or if I can check how much of the memory i have used up, but judging by these specs I think the base model might be the best option. I am not huge into pic/video editing but may have a need for it occasionally.

Also, I dont need to purchase for a couple of months, would it be best to wait and see what apple does in the next couple months, i know speculation, or should I just get it and start getting used to the transition from PC to Mac.

again thanks

May 8, 2013 4:27 PM in response to danatcheson

You should be able to determine how much data is on your HDD. I am not a windows user, so I cannot give you instructions.

To upgrade to 512 GB in a retina MBP is $300. Serious money in my book. Filling a storage drive near its maximum capacity has a negative impact on a computers performance. If currently you have 200 GB of data or less and are tidy and meticulous about the management of data on a SSD, you should be able to use a 256 GB SSD. If not, then a 512 GB SSD is the appropriate choice.

A 480 GB third party SSD is available for possible installation as a later date upgrade, but that cost currently is over $500. This would not be a good option.

If you are not pressed for time, it may very well be to defer the decision to a later date. The Terms of Use for these forums prohibit my discussing any possible new wares that Apple may or may not introduce.

Ciao.

How to choose which specs to get with 15 inch rMBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.