Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed bootcamp and partitioned, but stil detected as windows drive??

Hi, installed boocamp a few weeks ago on my external harddrive/macbook. I named the bootcamp partitioned drive Windows.

Today, i decided to reformat my computer. So, first i removed bootcamp using boocamp utility. Then I partitioned the drive to mac journaled extended and named it HD2. After that i did a factory reset of my mac and reinstalled mountain lion.

Upon logging in, everything seemed fine. The drive was partitioned correctly for storage on macosx, and still named HD2.

However, when i loaded the drive menu by restarting my computer and holding option. it still showed the drive as Windows!! when i clicked the drive, it even attempted to load windows, but of course never even got started and went straight to a blank screen because windows is not on there.

WHAT is going on. the drive isnt even named windows anymore. I removed bootcamp entirely and reformatted the drive. How can it be that the boot menu still lists it as Windows but when logging in, its listed as HD2?

I hoenstly think its a glitch with bootcamp. it doesnt exactly afftect anything really, because i can still use it for storage. But im OCD and it bothers me that its incorrectly listed in the bootmenu.

Can someone explain to me whats wrong and how i can fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on May 8, 2013 4:08 PM

1 reply

Removed bootcamp and partitioned, but stil detected as windows drive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.