Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are printer drivers stored in OS 10.8?

I am trying to set up a Epson Stylus Photo R3000 as a new printer on OS 10.8. The printer setup locates the printer and automatically selects Epson Stylus R3000 with the notation "The selected printer software is available from Apple. Click Add to download and add this printer." However, clicking on Add leads eventually to an error message: "Can't install the software for the EPSON Epson Stylus Photo R3000 because it is not currently available fromthe Software Update server." This result blocks me from setting up the printer.

I know the driver is part of the Epson driver software package that is installed with OS 10.8. I would like to select it manually. My question is where are printer drivers stored? How do I select a driver?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 8, 2013 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2013 8:21 PM

They are stored in the Macintosh HD > Library > Printers directory.

14 replies

May 8, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Thanks for the quick reply! I navigated to that directory and found several other directors nested in it, including Inkjet Printer2. More directories in there! I have searched through them, finding references to R3000. However, selecting any of those files in Printer Setup does result in my being able to install the printer. The Setup defaults back to trying to download the driver from Apple's server and eventually to the same deadend. Very frustrating.

:-(

May 8, 2013 8:36 PM in response to rona529

While a bit of a stretch, you can download the entire Epson printer package from Apple and install it. This will include all drivers for all Epson devices as opposed to the one just for your system. The package is 1GB in size, but will include everything supported.

The package can be downloaded here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1398

This following knowledgebase article says your printer is definitely supported, so the driver should be in that package: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#epson

May 8, 2013 8:38 PM in response to rona529

If you right-click the printer list in the Print & Scan system preferences, you can reset the print system to clear some temporary cache files and revert all settings back to their defaults, and then try again. If this still does not work then you can try installing the entire Epson printer package as I just mentioned in another posting to you.

May 8, 2013 8:41 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Hi. I have tried this already. First I checked whether the printer is supported. It is. I downloaded and installed the Epson package. Then I seleted Add a Printer. Selected Epson R3000 (which shows the Mac recognizes the printer is connected). After that, Printer Setup wants to download the driver from the Appler Server and can't find it. A road block.

As an experiment, I deleted an existing printer in my list (a HP Laserjet 2200) and then attempted to reinstall it. Same thing happens. Now, I don't have access to the Laserjet!

This is crazy.

May 8, 2013 8:47 PM in response to rona529

It will likely help the situation since it is happening to both printers. It's likely not a driver availability problem, and instead a detail with how the print system is configured. Resetting will revert the print system to factory defaults.

If there are further problems, just report back here and we will guide you through how to get your system running again.

Not as a warning, but just be sure you keep a full backup of your system before doing any of these steps (its simply good practice to do so).

Where are printer drivers stored in OS 10.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.