Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing up free ram is a nuisance

You would think that such an advance machine and from Apple that it should be able to do it on its' own.

I downloaded Memory Clean to see what's going on in the Ram dept.

And I am disappointed time and time again as I have to manually clear up the ram.

Its constantly on red notifying me that I only have 4MB or Ram left. After clearing it I have about 5GB of Ram.

I have a total of 16GB.

Is there a way that the Macbook Pro (retina) can clear up its own ram by itself?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 8, 2013 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2013 7:27 PM

Have you done any research on Memory Clean?

So everything I have found has said it is basically worthless and you should not be using it if you want you Mac to run correctly.

Allan

6 replies

May 8, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Interesting. I bought it when it first came out. I read some reviews on the App Store and thought to be ok. I didn't know it would slow things down too, which kind of ironic as an app that tries to make things better for the Mac.

What would be the best way to use the Mac and apps without taking up too much Ram? I open the same apps as I would have when I only had 4-8GB of Ram on my older machines, so I don't know why it still eats up all my ram as it does on the MBP - R

May 8, 2013 8:05 PM in response to AA101

Agreed it is a pain to reboot. 10.8.3 is the way to go to stay current and interface with Notifications and any iOS device. I would not go backwards.

memory allocation in terminal or any other application to make it run faster ?

No OS X handles all memory management allocating whatever RAM is required by a running process.

For a terminal process you might change the renice level to change a process' priority. At a Terminal prompt enter 'man renice' to learn how to use the command.

You can use the built in Applications/Utilitiies/Activity Monitor to get a handle on some of the details of RAM/CPU etc

Clearing up free ram is a nuisance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.