Skip navigation

Clearing up free ram is a nuisance

649 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 9:09 PM by AA101 RSS
AA101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 8, 2013 7:23 PM

You would think that such an advance machine and from Apple that it should be able to do it on its' own.

I downloaded Memory Clean to see what's going on in the Ram dept.

And I am disappointed time and time again as I have to manually clear up the ram.

Its constantly on red notifying me that I only have 4MB or Ram left. After clearing it I have about 5GB of Ram.

I have a total of 16GB.

Is there a way that the Macbook Pro (retina) can clear up its own ram by itself?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (39,420 points)
    May 8, 2013 7:27 PM (in response to AA101)

Have you done any research on Memory Clean?

So everything I have found has said it is basically worthless and you should not be using it if you want you Mac to run correctly.

Allan

• leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (13,335 points)
    May 8, 2013 7:38 PM (in response to AA101)

I find running Mountain Lion ( it seems to me a lot of redundency built in- I won't use the term bloatware.)

For better preformance I have to reboot every 8 to 11 days with 8GB of RAM.

I will say it is a production machine so I always have at least 18 apps running.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.4GHz IntelCorei5 320GB HD 8GB RAM
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (39,420 points)
    May 8, 2013 8:01 PM (in response to AA101)

If you feel you must control the memory in your Mac then the best and cheapest way to do it is start using the command line in Terminal such as purge.

Allan

• leroydouglas Level 6 Level 6 (13,335 points)
    May 8, 2013 8:05 PM (in response to AA101)

Agreed it is a pain to reboot. 10.8.3 is the way to go to stay current and interface with Notifications and any iOS device. I would not go backwards.

memory allocation in terminal or any other application to make it run faster ?

No  OS X handles all memory management allocating whatever RAM is required by a running process.

For a terminal process you might change the renice level to change a process' priority.  At a Terminal prompt enter 'man renice' to learn how to use the command.

You can use the built in Applications/Utilitiies/Activity Monitor   to get a handle on some of the details of RAM/CPU etc

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.4GHz IntelCorei5 320GB HD 8GB RAM

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.