Skip navigation

Can I update my iMac software?

128 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 1:47 AM by seventy one RSS
RunRubyRun Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 9, 2013 1:20 AM

I have arn iMac bought in July 2007 (I think) with software 10.4.11 and I was wondering if it's possible to update to the newest software? Like do I actually have to buy a whole new computer if I want the newest software?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (55,130 points)
    May 9, 2013 1:40 AM (in response to RunRubyRun)

Click on the Apple icon.. Top left in Finder...

 > About this Mac > More Info > Processor Name... What does it say...

RunRubyRun wrote:

...I was wondering if it's possible to update to the newest software? ..

Unlikely...

• LowLuster Level 6 Level 6 (11,785 points)
    May 9, 2013 1:35 AM (in response to RunRubyRun)

I doubt you can update to the newest operating system, mountain lion, but you can go to snow leopard or maybe even lion. As for the real software like the ilife apps and any other software you use that all depends on what operating system you can install on that mac.

• seventy one Level 6 Level 6 (8,480 points)
    May 9, 2013 1:47 AM (in response to RunRubyRun)

If you want the newest software you will have to buy a new computer.   That said, if your imac is Intel based and you upgrade your memory a little, you could go as far as Snow Leopard and obtain the benefits of the App Store comfortably.   But I would not advise going to Lion which would affect the usage of any PPC apps you may currently have.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.